Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 01-11-2006, 06:18 PM

Default Beat Detective is driving me batty

I will readily acknowledge I am a novice at Beat Detective. But it shouldn't be this hard! Once I generate an analysis, which is quite faulty, I am unable to effectively add beats or bars where I want them, and the "promote beats" function doesn't seem to work at all.

I'm simply taking 8 opening bars of a 4/4 piano cue from a Broadway show, isolated it in a selection, specified 1-1 as the start beat and 8-4 as the end beat. There are 8 bars in the area I am attempting to detect. Beat detective finds beats, but fairly randomly. Most frustrating of all is that I can't add or promote beats. WHY CAN'T I ADD BEATS!? COMMAND CLICK does nothing. aaargh. If I command click on an existing beat or sub-beat, the line creeps up to yellow, but nothing seems to happen. No change, no improvement.

what works: I can delete beats. I can move beats, but it causes other things to shift around sometimes. I feel like I have no control over this. Help me take off my dunce cap.

thank you

-John
Old 01-11-2006, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Beat Detective is driving me batty

Don't use beat detective...simple as that

(Sorry that doesn't help, but i h8 that prgm)
Old 01-11-2006, 08:58 PM

I am studying a lot of archived posts, but no epiphany yet. Not at all. Somebody recommended manually inserting beats. Fine, I go to the beginning of each beat transient, which is easy to identify, hit control I...a whole series of them. That's easy. My meter is 4/4. Now what?? I'm still stuck with the old "default" midi tempo that was already there. How do I recalculate or renumber the tempo map??

I am using this live track, and I want to add MIDI tracks to it, have a 4/4 click at the proper tempo, locked into the live track. Am I doing something wrong?

-John
Old 01-11-2006, 11:45 PM

Just a thought, which may or not have any bearing on what you’re currently wrestling…

You write "…I'm simply taking 8 opening bars of a 4/4 piano cue from a Broadway show, isolated it in a selection, specified 1-1 as the start beat and 8-4 as the end beat. There are 8 bars in the area I am attempting to detect."

Well, eight bars should be specified as 1:1 to 9:1. What you described is one beat short of eight bars.

IHTH.

Note to self: “One beat short of a bar.” Use that again and again, for a while.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 01-12-2006, 05:35 AM

to add: simply click on the lower side of the track with the smart tool, when the cursor becomes a hand like holder.

to cut: apple-click or opt-click, i don't remember.

do always capture selection and analyze beat
Old 01-12-2006, 09:42 AM

"to add: simply click on the lower side of the track with the smart tool, when the cursor becomes a hand like holder."

Nope, it doesn't work. I see the hand, I click at what I recognize as a beat location, I see a vertical bar as long as I hold down the mouse, but it doesn't stick, the bar disappears when I release.

In the meantime, I may have been asking the wrong question. What I really needed to understand was the "Identify beat" command, not so much Beat Detective, and I think I've got it. I've had my nose in post for so long and now I'm coming up to catch some music/technical issues again...

-JOhn
Old 01-13-2006, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Fine, I go to the beginning of each beat transient, which is easy to identify, hit control I...a whole series of them. That's easy. My meter is 4/4. Now what?? I'm still stuck with the old "default" midi tempo that was already there. How do I recalculate or renumber the tempo map??

you need to SELECT the 4 bars...not just put your cursor there...PT doesn't know how long your 4 bars is in sec:min which is how it figures out the tempo.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:08 PM

Just a thought. Make sure you have the correct 'contains' value selected. I think it defaults to quarter notes which can cause it to act in the way that you're describing. If you trying to detect beats that shorter than quarter notes, make sure you select the appropriate value.

Robert