Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2012, 08:36 PM

Default selections and comping playlists

I want to comp several takes together. I am in playlist view to see all the takes. I want to use slip mode to make selections from silent points in the tracks and paste to a master playlist. I have done the first part and I press tab to get the edit selector to the end part of that clip (so I can paste the next section in starting from that point) and I move down the playlist using ; but I don't know how to make a selection from that point onwards (using a mouse doesn't lock to that point). What's the best way of doing this so as to fill the master track up with no gaps between the clips (like it would if I used grid mode)?

Also, in trying to make selections, I pressed the up and down arrow key during playback and a selection between two markers came up after playback. The scrubber tool now appears when the mouse is within the track. However, I can't seem to cancel or exit this selection. If I click elsewhere (without shift), it just changes the boundaries of the selection?
Old 03-28-2012, 07:49 AM

Default Re: selections and comping playlists

What works for me: don't worry about gaps. Silence is fine unless you have background noise that needs to be consistent. I just click at the front of the region I want moved to the comp track, and drag across to the end of the desired region, and hit the up arrow to promote. Once I have assembled the final comp, I usually highlight the entire track and consolidate it.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-28-2012, 03:25 PM

Shift + Tab selects to the next clip (region) boundary from the current cursor position. BTW, Alt + Shift + Tab selects to the previous clip boundary (provided "tab to transient" is switched off).

G
Old 06-25-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
. I just click at the front of the region I want moved to the comp track, and drag across to the end of the desired region, and hit the up arrow to promote.
Hey Albee, or anyone whose following this thread...When you've made a selection from the playlist and you hit the "up arrow" located on the left to promote your selection to the top, do you click on the arrow with your mouse or is there a quick key that you use for that arrow? It takes too much time dragging the mouse to the left just to hit that arrow after I've made a selection.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:11 AM

Found it. It's "Control+option+V"