Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 04-03-2020, 03:25 PM

Default Co-install PT 12 and PT 2020.3?

Asking because I’ve spent 3 frustrating days trying to get the new video engine to give me a video window, which it won’t, and something as simple as trying to move the big box where the video window SHOULD be, crashes The video engine
(Unrecoverable error, and it gets stuck in a loop trying to re-initialize.)
So, since 12.4 worked just fine with video, can one get away with co-installing it with 2020.3? I only need to do this so my other workplace can observe social distancing, and send me projects from their PT 10 rig (you know, when video actually WORKED in Pro Tools...) for me to revise here, and put back on their system at a later date.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Co-install PT 12 and PT 2020.3?

AFAIK, not on Windows, although you could do a dual boot. I don't use very many tracks, no VIs, hardly task PT at and rarely use video, but every once in a while I need to layup voice to video with music. Uninstalled 2019.12, installed 2020.3, tried to import video and found out I had to install the video engine - the pop up dialogue told me where it was. Did that, imported 2 minute video and audio. Played a few times and - error, Video Engine having difficulty. Damn.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 04-03-2020, 05:11 PM

Funny thing....I installed the video engine manually too, but it told me it wasn’t there, even though I could see it in the “programs” list. So I installed it AGAIN. And all it does is get stuck in an “unrecoverable error” loop. Just for grins, I fired up my 8.0.5 rig on Win 7.....imported video .mov file.....works just fine. Weed, if I may ask, what file types did you try?

Last edited by sw rec; 04-03-2020 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:13 PM

I decided to find out if it was the MP4 video codec I was importing that was the problem. So, I uninstalled the video engine, did the Trasher Dance, rebooted, installed the video engine again, rebooted. Then found Shutter Encoder which is a free/donation transcoder: http://www.shutterencoder.com/en/

I first tried to transcode the MP4 to DNxHD, but that didn't work, I kept getting an error that the file was unrecognizable. Then I transcoded the MP4 to H 294 and set the extension to mov. Imported that and, so far, no errors yet and I've quickly started and stopped playback repeatedly over a couple of minutes and no problem. After a few starts/stops I was getting the error "The Avid Video Engine stopped unexpectedly" with the MP4 import.

Note: You will have to go past a couple of Windows warning dialogues as the Shutter Encoder installer is not signed to Microsoft's liking, but once past those warnings it will install. It appears to be a well designed program with crisp dialogue windows and a very sharp video window. And there is a lot more you can do with it besides transcode video codecs.

While it is donation, you can pull the slider to the left on the download page to $0. If this works I'll probably donate later, but not as a trial.

As always YMMV.
SonoBus
Old 04-08-2020, 09:57 AM

After futzing around with it for days and trying some of the workarounds from Avid tech support (that basically stopped PT 2020.3 from launching AT ALL,) I stripped out everything PT related, installed PT 10.3.10 and made sure it works (it does, even though PT10 is not "qualified" for Win 10). Then. Downloaded new 2020.3 installers on the chance that I got a corrupt download the first time. Re installed everything. If you try to enable the video engine, even before you bring a video into the session, it goes into the dreaded "unrecoverable error" loop, and won't stop until you tell it to cancel.

This is critical, because I need to be able to grab sessions from my OTHER place of employment, revise them here (social distancing, doncha know!) and eventually load them back on their system. Which by the way, is an older 10.3.8 MAC system, that WORKS. After seeing my frustration with Avid's new video engine, and seeing that 2020.3 has a problem importing .omf files, which again, are critical to this particular workflow, the manager has abandoned all thoughts of "updating" and getting the newest release. What they have still gets the job done, every day. So. Color me disillusioned, and wiser. Wise enough to say "no thanks" when my support plan comes up for renewal in June.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:14 AM

I can't speak to the subject, but the video engine PT2020 Mac OSX is equally goofy , crashes , won't load videos with non ASCII file names etc. Something in the video codec that crashes PT and it's non negotiable. Not to mention infuriating.

A workaround (for me anyway) is to use freeware (handbrake on Mac OS but someone above mentioned a transcoder that looks like the same thing) trial and error try a few different tweaks or different codecs until you can make a video that loads properly. Some codecs are 'snappier' than others (i.e. lag between pressing play and PT actually playing) - good luck with that.

Seriously Avid WTF you BROKE YOUR OWN FLAGSHIP DAW. Get some new beta testers for the love of God. PT12 worked just fine. I get .mp4 files from all my clients, some of them work seamlessly some run like a dog some won't display (black screen) and some outright crash the whole session.

The fairly limited new features I got by paying for the upgrade are not worth the aggravation for me or anyone else for whom video is crucial and just needs stuff to work not hours lost on forums or coming up with hamfisted workarounds. I'm not a codec expert. I'm also not interested - that's supposed to be Avid's job that I pay them for.
Old 06-14-2020, 09:47 PM

Interesting, and thank you for that insight, especially in light of all the “get a MAC and that won’t happen” remarks I’ve gotten in other forums. My workaround is a little clunky, but it works...vidplayvst and Bluecat Patchwork to host it, on an instrument track. You have to import audio separately, and you have to “scrub” in the instrument timeline, but at least I found a way to not bring my operation to a standstill.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:09 AM

I'm on the latest PT 2020.5 and the latest Windows update to 2004 and, with the Processor Affinity optimization (Core 0 and 1 unchecked with 8 cores - Hyperthreading on) I'm able to import and run MP4 videos again and PT is snappy at 64 buffer.
SonoBus