Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 03:54 AM

Default Pro Tools moving to PC only?

Hi

I just received some information here in the UK through what I would have expected to be a reliable source. They stated that there would be one more release of Mac based Pro Tools and that thereafter Digidesign would move to PC only.

This sounds reasonably unlikely but it would be very important to us to be sure. We were about to embark on a largish installation of new Pro Tools machines at our institution and I would be very reluctant to buy Macs if I knew this was the case.

Thanks

David
Old 04-30-2007, 04:38 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools moving to PC only?

Gosh is that the time? It seems that we get one of these posts every six months and Digidesign will always deny it. It makes no sense at all. Too many people have Macs. It is like right hand and left hand drive cars. Sure the market is smaller but.......
Please can this go away now
Simon L.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:16 AM

according to the newest statistics Apple has AGAIN gained market share... And the prognoses are predicting that Apple will continue to do so. Since moving to intel OS X and Vista has never been closer architecture wise so IMO it would make no sense to drop mac. Especially since the majority of PT users are using Macs...

Personally I hate speculations like these and I believe it does NO good to anyone posting rumors like those until they have been 100% confirmed...

There are a lot of people wanna be something special by airing stupid and exotic rumors. Dont believe anything until YOU can confirm anything for sure.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Hi

I just received some information here in the UK through what I would have expected to be a reliable source. They stated...
Just out of curiosity, did that reliable source have a bunch of leftover Dell's to sell?

In all seriousness, the only thing that gives me pause is that Digi has been dragging it's feet when it comes to fully supporting OSX. But maybe they're waiting for Apple to settle down with the constant hardware and OS changes.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:16 AM

Are the majority of Pro Tools users using Macs?

Or is it just the majority of Pro Tools TDM users that are using Macs?

I don't have detailed Digidesign accounts to hand but it would be interesting to know how much of their profit comes from the TDM side of things and how much from the LE and M Powered side of things these days.

Rest assured I am not trying to start an unwarranted rumour - I'm just reporting what I heard and concerned to know more as I am/was about to be purchasing a significant number of systems.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:53 AM
Avid

This rumor is patently false - we will be supporting both WinXP and Mac OS and have no plans on changing that.
Closed Thread