Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2009, 02:46 PM

Default reading Audio file metadata ?

I'm doing something when editing, slip of the right click, with a specific tool (From the multi tool) while holding command down - I just can't figure out WHAT is causing THIS DIALOG AND ANALYSIS to Pop up, and highlight the region with a bright yellow box.

Am I TCE'ing? I can't "Force the dialog", but it's popping up about 7 or 8 times per comp.

Any ideas what this is ?

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 05-04-2009, 10:20 PM

Default Re: reading Audio file metadata ?

PT is reading the metadata of the audio files to determine whether it should 'match' them based on criteria in the files.

If you select 'track id' as the match criteria, then command-click on the highlighted region with the selector tool, any other audio file that has the same 'name' in it's metadata and overlaps in time will pop up in a contextual menu. Selecting another file from the menu swaps out selected audio for the other file.

It's useful if you have an eight-track field recorder, and have eight tracks of production audio from a film shoot. With one track in the session, you can highlight a word or phrase, and swap it out for another channel (i.e. boom to radio or one actor's radio to another actor's radio).

It gets interesting when you use sibliminator from maggot software. Sibliminator takes a group of files and forces then to be siblings, then if they overlap in time, you can swap them out using the technique above.

We use if for ADR - all the takes get sibliminated, then individual words can be swapped (for example).

It has applications in music too - sibliminate your vocal tracks, and comping is a breeze.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidsquad View Post
It gets interesting when you use sibliminator from maggot software. Sibliminator takes a group of files and forces then to be siblings, then if they overlap in time, you can swap them out using the technique above.
There's "match from timecode only" in the match menu (7.4 and up). Doesn't that do the same?
Old 05-05-2009, 11:35 AM

I just got it to do this by right-clicking on a region with the Apple key held down. When I tried it again, it wouldn't do it anymore.

It can be a bummer when you are working quickly and this happens to a long region - it can take a while.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-tone View Post
It can be a bummer when you are working quickly and this happens to a long region - it can take a while.

Yeah that's my complaint... I want to shut it off - I don't use this work flow, and it's popping up, and analyzing whole files, in the middle of my comp edits.

I'm cutting all the vox on a project, and comping every day right now - and this is a bit of a P.I.T.A - obviously a "New Analysis" Shortcut for PT8 as I haven't changed my workflow in a few years, and this is a new dialog for me.

Anyone know if there's an Option / Preference - to disable this?

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App