Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2018, 08:57 AM

Default Re: ProControl Technical Assistance

It determining which should be primary the 96 or the 192D some say make the 192D as primary others the analogue 96, currently set as 192D as primary which gets digital signal in, even avid recommend 192D as primary and 96 as expansion
Old 01-01-2018, 09:28 AM

At this time, the 192D serves no purpose at all. In the name of solving the problem(no output), you need to simplify and troubleshoot. To that end, I would do the following:
1-disconnect the 192D
2-connect the 96 IO Digilink to the HD card
3-route cables from outputs 1&2 of the 96 IO directly to a pair of powered speakers
4-create a blank session with a mono AUX track and pull the track fader down all the way.
5-insert the signal Generator plugin(its in the OTHER category) and set it to pink noise.
6-with the speakers powered ON, slowly bring the track fader up. You SHOULD be hearing pink noise from the speakers. If you DO, you know you have output(so then its on to troubleshooting why its not working thru the PC monitor section). If you DON'T hear pink noise, then you need to check your routing in the IO setup.

The Behringer is going to sound the same, whether its connected to the 192D, or the lightpipe connections on the 96 IO, so I would keep it simple for now and just use the 96 IO and Behringer.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-01-2018, 09:41 AM

Yep you need to do basic troubleshooting. Like what Dave has suggested.

Start at one end and follow to the other. Is there signal at the actual interface outputs? You can check there with monitors like Dave suggested or use signal gen with a sine wave and a multimeter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2018, 11:18 AM

Thanks for assistance offered so far, i've done what Dave has suggested so far without success, even went as far as to to changed D-Sub Cables etc, and still all i get is only Input signal received from 192D intp PC

I have contacted Medispec who have offices in Glasgow area and await there input and or subject to rates to come out and help sort, as I have tried all the solutions suggested and the information gleamed from avoid them selves without success, Al the i\o until come from a former working studio so I know there are ok, cars passed digits and PC came from a studio in post production newer London and I have been using it without HD with no Issues and get playback from external nonHD applications so there is a routing or I\O issue somewhere in the audio chain, was thinking its a faulty D-Sub as mu PC is a new model and doesn't actually have or need the revised reversed pin snake cable
Old 01-01-2018, 11:33 AM

Default ProControl Technical Assistance

I can tell you are not really listening....

Again. Start at the source. Simplify everything.

Does a signal generator in a trivial session put output on a 96IO? Why do we care if you swapped out a D-Sub connector?... we care at what point you have a signal and then when you lose it. If you claim nothing works at this point you should have a single 96IO connected to the computer with a Digilink cable and monitors or a multimeter connected to the 96IO and every thing else disconnected from the 96IO and computer.

If you cannot get any output on the 96IO then the hardware is either faulty or more likely the IO settings just screwed up and need to be defaulted.

What *exact* tests are you doing? What signal generator test? Measuring with what monitors or multimeter/cables on what outputs and they show exactly what? Verify the multimeter or monitor tests work in a known good output. What is the signal level dbFS shown on the output master fader? What do you measure on the multimeter? What are the monitor volumes set to do you hear in the when the Volume is turned up? (Static? Noise? Absolutely nothing?)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2018, 01:56 PM

I'll give this one more go. Remove the 192D, it CANNOT connect via DB25 to anything else you have because that DB25 connections are DIGITAL and everything else you are working with for connections are analog(except for the lightpipe for the Behringer). And to properly diagnose, you MUST remove as many variables as possible(which means disconnect the Pro Control too).

To be successful at troubleshooting, 2 things need to happen:
#1-simplify down to the absolute basic(least) number of parts to make a complete system(microphone>preamp>interface>HD card>Pro Tools>back to interface>analog out>speakers). Anything else connected is just confusing you and preventing a methodical approach.
#2-use a methodical approach If nothing is coming out, how do you decide where the problem is? First and foremost, you NEED to remove the 192D as it is part of the problem(and won't be part of the solution for now).

Since your main problem is no output, here is what you need to test. 96IO connected to HD card and speakers(or headphone amp) connected to a pair of outputs on the back of the 96IO. Open Pro tools and verify that Pro Tools HD is the "audio engine"(in PT, Setup>Hardware). Open Setup>IO and select the output tab and it should look very close to the attached screen shot(I'm doing a bit of guessing as my rig is different). In any case, you need an output path so audio can exit the interface and feed speakers. If you have any audio in the session, check its output setting and make sure it matches the main outputs in your IO setup(while mine are named "Main Out L/R", you can name yours anything you like, even as simple as "1-2"). Fingers crossed. If you have no output with this simple and basic set of gear, then you have some major problems to figure out. Once you get working output directly from the 96IO, then you can look into adding other hardware back into the setup, but do one piece of gear at a time, test it and verify its all good before adding the next piece of gear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 96 IO.jpg (42.2 KB, 0 views)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-01-2018, 02:15 PM

Default Re: PT ProControl Technical Assistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rae C View Post

Am I one correct track and could you provide a drawing\digram if possible as there is not a local expert i could afford being a student

Saying your a student implies there is a Teacher

Ask your teacher

I have a spare MonitoringSection for a PC for sale

Used $80 free shipping to the Lower 48
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:53 AM

Hi Guy's

I've stripped it back today from Mac Pro to PC etc, have done test on the following cables and connections;

HD Core (ok)
HD Accel (ok)
D-Sub Cables (ok)
Optical (ok)
96 i\o (ok)
KRK Spkr XLR Input & Power Connections (ok)

Disconnected Outboards:
ADA8000
192D

Connected the 96 i\o to HD (Core) card via digilink cables, connected trs\xlr output to 2 monitors.

Opened up PT, checked audio engine is HD TDM, and set i\o to default settings, so far so good.

Setup a new session, inserted Signal Generator, and have audio input.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:22 AM

I'n actually a Film Studies student getting into post-production, and tutors are about as helpful as wet sand
Old 01-02-2018, 05:11 PM

Hi Rae,

The ProControl is a weird duck, in that the pinout on the Dsub cables are different. Look at the ProControl section here:

http://archive.digidesign.com/support/docs/

Here's the direct link to the last ProControl manual ever published, version 6.9
http://akarchive.digidesign.com/supp...ol%20Guide.pdf

Then Cross reference your ProControl's serial number to see which Pin out you have.

But: The control room section of the ProControl sounds "just okay" fidelity wise (but it looks cool, right?)

However, unless you're setting up a 6-speaker 5:1 surround system for VR panning on the EDIT pack, I would just buy a Presonus Monitor Station (V1 or V2) for around $100-130 used and monitor in stereo from a pair of jacks out of the 96 I/O.

Or get a TRS to DB-25 cable and move the TRS plugs around on your 96 I/O outputs until you are feeding the correct SIX inputs on the ProControl.

* 7 + 8 are L + R
* 5 + 6 are Ls + Rs
* 3 + 4 are LFE + C

That leaves outputs 1 + 2 for cue, studio monitor, or whatever you need?

TRADITIONALLY, If you are going surround for your EDIT pack, then you need the special pin-out DB ProControl cable described by Digidesign here (found on Archive.org from 2006):

Oh, and this cable was for an Analog 192 HD's analog outputs to run to the ProControl's "weird pin out analog In DB-25 analog input port".

Your 192D may have been used with a digital dubber if you got it from a post house? But it won't do much good in your current rig.

Good luck and all the best, Walt

DB25-DB25R ProControl DigiSnake, 25'
Price $95.00
DB25 to pin-reversed DB25. Length: 25 feet with purple jackets on both ends and appropriate labeling. This DigiSnake was developed specifically to compensate for the reversed pin outs on the ProControl. Typically used to connect the 192 I/O output to the audio input of the ProControl.
[more info]
buy now

Last edited by blackmacdaddy; 01-02-2018 at 05:30 PM. Reason: clarity