How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2020, 01:36 AM

Default Sanitizing S6 / Covid19

Hello guys,

Do you have any advices to clean up/sanitize our Control Surfaces, especially our S6 ?
We're looking for best ways to fight the spreading of the virus Covid19, and we think that our control surfaces are pretty affected by those questions.

Do you recommend any products to sanitize properly the Avid control surfaces (bleach, alcool solutions, etc.) ?

Thanks !
Old 04-09-2020, 07:59 AM

Default Re: Sanitizing S6 / Covid19

What about a UV sanitizing light?
Old 04-09-2020, 02:51 PM

Even before covid-19, I was the guy spraying 90% rubbing alcohol on a paper towel and wiping down everything. I do that every morning on an S3, and have done it a few times on an S6. Works well on control surfaces, keyboards, mouse, trackballs, laptops, telephones, door knobs...
Old 04-09-2020, 03:08 PM

Yep, I'm a big fan of 90% Alcohol because it completely evaporates and dries quickly.

The bigger problem is nobody could possibly remember everything they touched! So, as annoying as they might be, I'd recommend latex gloves after you've cleaned the surface. That way NOBODY IS ACTUALLY TOUCHING THE SURFACE.

Clean in the morning. Clean at night. Wear gloves. You're totally covered that way.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:06 PM

I believe there is a knowledge base article or post from Eddie or Jeff about how you should clean an S6 and there are definitely some things they explicitly said not to use. I can't recall details though, and it does not relate to sanitizing re: covid-19 but probably worth seeking out to make sure you don't ruin the board.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
I believe there is a knowledge base article or post from Eddie or Jeff about how you should clean an S6 and there are definitely some things they explicitly said not to use. I can't recall details though, and it does not relate to sanitizing re: covid-19 but probably worth seeking out to make sure you don't ruin the board.
Yes.
It's here
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=374628
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 06-08-2020, 11:19 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Gräber View Post
What about a UV sanitizing light?
I would not recommend this. You need the correct version UV-C and it not only kills viruses but human cells.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:46 AM
Avid

Its hard for us to officially recommend anything. I have already seen someone post that they ruined their surface. I can however say what not to use/do. Don't use bleach or hydrogen peroxide or some of the cleaners with acid in, don't get any kind of liquid into LEDs, Buttons and Faders. The bolsters can be particular sensitive to continued cleaning. Don't rub surfaces, only press gently.

Apple gives some guidelines for their products but if you scroll down this page it pretty much says don't use anything other than a soft cloth. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204172
Old 06-08-2020, 12:26 PM

I have no idea what I'd use on a shared control surface.

But be aware that 70% alcohol is more effective as a sanitizer against these type of viruses than higher alcohol percentages. It may seem illogical but the presence of some water with the alcohol helps with destruction for the virus. It also helps the solution stay on the surface longer and have an effect vs. evaporating more quickly. Formal surface disinfection procedures using alcohol/isopropanol will have something like a 5 minute "dwell time. Wiping a small amount of stuff on may not be so effective (or maybe might even spread stuff around?). Not sure I'd want to slop on enough stuff to be near that dwell time and have it run into the faders etc. There are some good research papers on efficiency of these solutions, if I can find those again I'll add a link.

Surface contamination seems a smaller transmission route, with airborne more significant. So wear masks, and that will also help avoid you touching your face and contaminating yourself if the surface (or studio door handles etc.... which many more people may touch. Unlike other work places there are lots of doors that just have to be opened and closed) are contaminated.