Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2018, 08:11 AM

Default Did it without thinking.

I went down to the store, picked up the S3 and was smiling all the way home. But when I hooked it up, I realized there's no digital in/outs, also I can't run hundreds of existing projects because I record in 44.1-32bit thru spdif. Oops. now I have to convert everything. That's gonna take some time... Looks like the 003 is not going to be retired today. The S3 is beautiful, slightly confusing, but I'm sure it will be a joy to work with! Any helpful suggestions will be welcome. Should I have gotten Artist Mix instead? I've been using digital i/o for so long, now I have to rethink my hook ups and cables.
Another thing: I'm curios as to your solution for tilting the S3 at an angle so the screens are easily read.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Did it without thinking.

A simple block of wood should suffice to angle the S3(I did the same with a pair of Artist MIX units). As for the change in IO, if the S3 can cover your needs, you could try simply renaming the outputs of the S3 to the same name of the SPDIF outputs of the 003(done in the IO setup section>Output tab). Pro Tools is looking at path names, so it can be fooled(in a good way).

Example:
My studio has 2 systems. System 1 is HDN with 48 IO thru pairs of HD IO and 192 IO. System 2 is the midi room and uses Mbox 2 Pro. On the Midi room system, I named the 2 mic inputs(in IO setup) as X-12 1 and X-12 2, and the 2 outputs as Main Out L/R. Since system 1 has 2 inputs and 2 outputs with those names, sessions move between the 2 systems without needing a bunch of changes.

Having said all that, check out youtube for tutorials on the S3(I suspect you will be quite happy, once you learn your way around it). As for retiring the 003, if its the rack version, I would compare audio to see if you hear any difference(and go with what sounds best if you DO hear a difference). If its the 003 console, I bet you could easily trade someone for the rack version to tidy up your desk. Or stash the controller as a backup and buy a used 003, which can be had for around $100 if you're a smart shopper(I bought a perfect one from a local pawnshop for $87 out the door)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-30-2018, 06:58 PM

Hey, thanks for the info!!! I found a workaround for the S3 not having the spdif. Actually I was using the 01V96 as my audio interface with the 003. In my panic, I totally forgot about that(been 9 years) since I broken down the setup. Now that I’ve gotten thru all the wiring ‘and dust’ I realized that I can use the S3 almost in the same way. But just not as the main audio engine as it doesn’t accept 44.1. Until I convert my projects to 48 or 96, I’ll just use the Yamaha audio engine, and use the S3 as a controller only. I’m in the process of setting that up now. I’ll let you know how it works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2018, 09:06 PM

Confused here. The S3 should have no issues with 44.1K sessions. Of course, if you keep the 003 as your interface, you can use the S3 as a control surface ONLY(not routing audio thru it at all). Personally, I would try to do a setup without the old Yamaha(that era was hard-working, but not particularly great sounding) Also, if you can't open a 44.1K session, it may be the Yamaha that's preventing it(plus, any time you connect 2 devices via a digital connection, you MUST designate one device as the master clock and the other must slave to the master)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-30-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Confused here. The S3 should have no issues with 44.1K sessions. Of course, if you keep the 003 as your interface, you can use the S3 as a control surface ONLY(not routing audio thru it at all). Personally, I would try to do a setup without the old Yamaha(that era was hard-working, but not particularly great sounding) Also, if you can't open a 44.1K session, it may be the Yamaha that's preventing it(plus, any time you connect 2 devices via a digital connection, you MUST designate one device as the master clock and the other must slave to the master)
Thanks Albee for your insight. But, the S3 does not run at 44.1k My setup was, all mics, instruments, run thru the 01V96i, which believe to be newer than my 003, then digitally to the 003 using light-pipe for 44.1 and 48k(just for stereo in and out). And SPDIF for 96K and above. All sync'ed to WC. When I was recording a live band, I just used the 01V's USB into Pro Tools. It was very convenient, and this really worked well for me. I have no issues with the Yamaha inputs(maybe my ears are not as finely tuned). So I wasn't using the 003's I/O anyway. So when I got the S3 and there were no digital ins, I kinda thought that I would have to change my patching(more than a few cables). But, finally I figured out that all I had to do was just move the 003 out of the way, install EUCON, change the audio engine to 01V, and everything is great for me. I'm even testing it on Mojave, and it's playing back fine.So now I have the choice of converting my projects to 96K, or just leaving them the way they were recorded. I took the shorter way. But, any future projects will be at 96K.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:08 PM

But, of course as the S3 hasn't been qualified with Mojave yet, I cannot use it's own I/O yet. Also, doing it my way, you lose the 16 channels of Yamaha remote. So replacing the 003 with the S3, I've lost 8 remote channel strips, but you can always bank/nudge on the S3.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:20 AM

Check out "Layouts" when you have time. Very simple but very powerful S3 feature that helps a lot in a busy session.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:08 AM

Happy New Year Everyone!!
Thanks for all of the positive advice(been flamed a few times)! Yes Reicman, I will get into the shortcuts. The 003 had everything labeled, and I don't think we could assign different modified parameters to each button. For a guy like me with more than a few overcooked brain cells, it was kinda easy. The S3 is a beast. Glad I got it, but I'm gonna regret it when they come out with the MK2.(just speculation)
There is one thing that I would change if I had the chance, but all in all, I'm levin' it!
Everyone enjoy the holidays!
Old 01-01-2019, 07:29 AM

I do have another question if ya'll don't mind. How do Get the channel meters on the S3 to reflect what's on the PT screen, or vice versa? I've tried switching the meters on PT by left clicking, but that didn't keep the S3 from showing way too hot levels. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj-Ike View Post
I do have another question if ya'll don't mind. How do Get the channel meters on the S3 to reflect what's on the PT screen, or vice versa? I've tried switching the meters on PT by left clicking, but that didn't keep the S3 from showing way too hot levels. Any help will be appreciated.
How about taking a looksie in the manual to find that out along with much more great info

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————