Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2002, 05:51 AM

Default using waves 3.5 with dual processors

how it´s working? the new update should work in both processors, but if ptle doesn´t work, how it´s going???

any dual+waves 3.2->3.5 owners?

i just love my wonderful english skills.. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] , is it in or on both processors..?? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2002, 07:12 AM

Default Re: using waves 3.5 with dual processors

I use a G4 500MP, and the 3.5 upgrade DOES make a big difference. Get it now!
Old 07-31-2002, 07:15 PM

We have noticed a preformance increase using Waves 3.5.

Double up those reverbs? Yup. Multiple C4s with a Linear Broadband EQ? all good.

Its hard to say if the jump in performance is due to the general plug -in acceleration that Waves indicates in the release notes. Or if Waves reporting "Better Dual Support" is why.

It may be a combination of the general acceleration and the "Better Dual Support"

Whatever it is, its extreamly cool that Waves is a company that doent gouge its customers at every turn. Free upgrade..cant beat it.

Right
Old 08-01-2002, 10:31 AM

Source from Waves tells me that having no dual processor support in PTLE means Waves plugs won't take advantage of dual processors either under the DAE in Pro Tools. So the higher amount of Waves plugs in PTLE is not the direct result of "Better Dual Support." As commented, the 3.5 is much improved for plugin-count performance, albeit without taking advantage of dual processor support. Of course, it is presumably even THAT much better using both processors, say in Logic, for example. Hope this helps. Looking forward to Pro Tools getting truly dually. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2002, 11:23 AM

forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't a plug-in just another application the runs as a hidden background process and leeches RAM off the host application ?

If the speed gains are really significant it suggests that the plug-ins probably ARE dual CPU aware even in protools. I'm assuming if protools was fully dual cpu aware that it would mean any plug-ins could take advantage of the second CPU without the manufacturers adding any Dual CPU specific code to the plug-ins.

The more plug-ins and software synths that have altivec and dual CPU support the better as far as I'm concerned, it really leaves you're options open when choosing a new mac or upgrading the one you're already using for better performance.
Old 08-01-2002, 04:13 PM

Quote:
isn't a plug-in just another application the runs as a hidden background process and leeches RAM off the host application ?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Guessing the Leeches RAM plugin hidden background process application works independent of RTAS and AUDIOSUITE (or VST, etc.,) quite unlike the Waves plugs. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2002, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Guessing the Leeches RAM plugin hidden background process application works independent of RTAS and AUDIOSUITE (or VST, etc.,) quite unlike the Waves plugs.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">maybe I worded that a bit badly [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

What I meant was, I assume a Plug-in is an application in itself only it doesn't behave like usual ones do because it shares the RAM allocated to protools and only protools can see it. This could mean it might have optimisations such as Altivec and dual CPU support even though protools doesn't.

There's been software synths for quite a while now that work with protools but still have they're own Altivec and Dual CPU optimisations. I didn't think it would take this long for people like waves to do the same thing for RTAS plug-ins.

On the subject of waves, there's an article in SOS this month on multiband compression, I don't suppose Waves offer their plug-ins as individual products instead of those pricey bundles ?
Old 08-01-2002, 07:00 PM

[quote]Originally posted by John H:
Quote:
I don't suppose Waves offer their plug-ins as individual products instead of those pricey bundles ?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes they do , but given the prices, the bundles are a better deal.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:23 PM

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guessing the Leeches RAM plugin hidden background process application works independent of RTAS and AUDIOSUITE (or VST, etc.,) quite unlike the Waves plugs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

maybe I worded that a bit badly
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hmmm, perhaps better abreviated LRPHBPA? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Your reasoning in extrapolating RAM sharing to LRPHBPA (a.k.a. misbehaving plugs that defy the host app.) is interesting. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]