Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2021, 08:59 PM

Default Re: First steps with MTRX Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparemonkey View Post
The delay compensation doesnt work at all with the unit. Will this be fixed anytime soon? Why isn't this top priority with Avid?
It's tricky because Pro Tools does not know the routing patched in DADman, and indeed DADman could be running on a different machine (even one a different network to the Pro Tools computer). So implementing a robust solution is likely non-trivial.

What would be a nice interim step would be being able to enter the offsets in samples rather than ms.
Old 01-01-2021, 09:17 PM

It doesnt seem to do anything in Ms. No matter what I do I cant get the delay below 46 samples.
Old 01-02-2021, 11:11 AM
Avid

Greetings,

Let's start a fresh new thread for 2021 to discuss Delay Comp on MTRX devices. This will be a work in progress. Completely agree with Luke that sample values for hardware insert delay is a good idea.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=413465

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 01-02-2021, 12:03 PM
Avid

Please give us some more detail on the exact workflow you are trying to solve. Is this a multi workstation scenario where you are printing from a source machine into a recorder? Are you using multiple MTRX devices on your rig? Are you using Pro | Mon, and what is your Digi Delay set to? Thanks.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 01-30-2021, 02:35 PM

To MTRX / MRTX Studio Users,

A detailed thread just posting to keep in the loop as a new MTRX Studio owner.

Regards
Old 02-04-2021, 03:48 AM

I just got this rack, and it seems like an unfinished baked cake. 1 - The meters are in consistent between Pro Tools, DADman and MTRX; so trying to make sure you are at exact levels is kind of difficult. 2 - I am shocked Avid relied on a 3rd party software to even allow this box to work at all. When you turn it on, it is dead, does nothing. You must configure it with DADman software. And finding info on configuring, troubleshooting, etc, is pretty difficult. 3 - The output meters do not even function on a basic stereo set up, so you have no clue on levels. I like the intent of this box, but for $5,000, you would think they would have a better explanation on configuration and that the unit could function without the need of the DADman for basic IO.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:35 AM
Avid

Greetings,

Thanks, I love cake! But seriously, we're here to help.

DADman does in fact add some extra complexity to the system, however once you wrap you head around it - the possibilities are endless.

All of the monitor profiles (including the stereo basic) should be showing metering - on the right side. The LED meters on the left toggle between light blue - analog, blue - ADAT, and Orange for Dante.

Here's a playlist that covers a lot of ground in digging into DADman and MTRX family interfaces:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...QDeRgOaJw_FSI1

I would start with this one:
https://youtu.be/sMb91SVVnF4?list=PL...QDeRgOaJw_FSI1

Also - current Monitor Profiles for MTRX Studio can be found here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uxty86enf...buMixkJka?dl=0

If you want to PM me about your specific monitor / metering questions that's fine also.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 03-20-2021, 01:51 PM

Hello, this is for Jeff or anyone else to chime in.

Trying to set up an MTRXST and I have a few questions. This is for 5.1 mixing only. Using MTRXST as a monitor controller / interface using an iPad with ProTools Control. HD Native Card in Mac Pro with 2 Digilink cables set up as Pri 1-32 / Pri 33-64. Set up four PT5.1 Sources to monitor my various stems. Printmaster 5.1, Music 5.1, DX 5.1, FX 5.1 on 24 (4x6) Digilink inputs. Mac Pro Computer audio Routed through 2 Dante Outputs via DVS. I've also added two 2.0 Stereo Sources using Digilink inputs 25-28. So far only using the first 6 DA outs connected to my surround speakers. All Source routing is internal via Digilink 1.

I've attached a picture of my iPad screen so you get an idea of what I am trying to accomplish.

Here are my questions . . .

1) Sync Termination, 75 Ohm or Hi Z? Manual says use 75 Ohm the linked YouTube tutorial just leaves as is. May not be important as the MTRXST is my only interface. Good to know though.

2) Speaker Selects. As you can see the LFE button is named Lwfrq.ffect is there a way to change it to LFE?

3) How do you tie the Sources I've created in DADMAN to ProTools? After I've create a 5.1 Output in PT I/O Setup, how do I link this to the Digilink source(s) I created in DADMAN? Admittedly I haven't tried looking for a solution for this yet, but just hit a wall when I was trying to set this up. Hoping you can help fast track me here.

4) Is there also a way to set different Reference Levels and save them as presets. Say for 75dB, 79dB, 82dB and 85dB? I currently mix near-field at 79dB =-20dBFS RMS (my REF 0 fader level in DADMAN) for TV shows destined for streaming services in a small room. But at times you want to change as clients ask for more dynamic or less dynamic mixes.

5) Lastly is there a way to set up so that your speakers are DIMmed when you boot up. Last thing I want is blowing drivers because Monitor output is at 100%.

Thank you so much, appreciate all the help and advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hitp_monitor_setup.jpg (48.9 KB, 0 views)
www.hitproductions.net

Last edited by hitp; 03-20-2021 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-20-2021, 02:30 PM
Avid

Hi.

(1) Sync termination: in DADman > Conf > Sync. > Sync term > you can choose whether the Word Clock Input is terminated Internally (recommended) or left unterminated. If you are clocking internally this parameter is not relevant.

(2) LFE - renaming. I believe you are referring to EUCON specifically - or how these individual speakers are displayed on the Avid Control Monitoring tab controlled by EuControl. We have a feature request in to improve this. Much of this is already possible on S4 and S6 - however we need to add functionality into EuControl. So - thanks for the feedback on that one.

(3) You tie a source you create in DADman to Pro Tools by choosing DigiLink as the IO flavor when defining the source Input. Adding a source to your monitor profile which is assigned to DigiLink inputs tells DADman to look to Pro Tools or more specifically - HD Native engine card which is being used as the playback engine and conduit in and out of Pro Tools.

(4) Ref levels - yes. Here's the process:
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...els&popup=true

(5) A few recommendations. I like to set my DADman preferences to automatically load the last Settings File (.dms) and Monitor Profile (.dmsprof) when DADman is launched. I personally don't like to autosave the files - as you can inadvertently change something and save - then next time you boot up your source or monitors can be sourced or at a level that is not ideal.

With this in mind, I usually have the main control room and all other relevant monitors in my monitor profile set to Mute - then simply save over the .dmprof so that it boots up with everything muted (or dimmed if you want). I would also NOT recommend auto-launching DADman while your computer is booting. You are better off manually launching DADman once the workstation is up and have it auto-launch the necessary settings and monitor profiles.

A few other resources that will certainly help you:
MTRX Studio Resource

A hyperlinked document (PDF) that answers many of the questions you are inquiring about currently and generally designed to help folks get up and running.

More detailed applications and workflows can be gleaned by checking out the MTRX specific videos on YouTube.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 03-20-2021, 05:10 PM

Thank you so much Jeff! All that information and links were so helpful. Can't wait to get back to the studio today to implement what you just advised.
www.hitproductions.net