Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 06-08-2014, 12:26 PM

Default Re: S6 is getting a "little brother".... sort of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
A transport control section to sit next to an S3 would be neat, mostly just someting with a conventional transport controls and scrub wheel. The S6 automation module seems too much/likely too expensive. I dislike the Artist transport funky button layout. But I expect between the existing Artist Transport and S6 Automation Module there is not enough space to expect Avid to do a "mid-range" S3 compatible transport add-on. It will be interesting if Avid will sell a 3S control surface separately and at a compelling price.
I would hope they could make one that sits between artist control and S6 build/function/cost wise...I don't expect a custom machined metal wheel, but it's very useful on the artist (scrolling/zooming/clipgain etc), not to mention useful on avid controllers. When I look at the auto/TS module on S6 there is a lot of stuff there that I wouldn't really need if I have a qwerty in front of it.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Sorry, but I hate the touch pad idea and I certainly don't think it should be built in like that. They did that on the Pro Control and it was horrible IMO.

Just have a removable front bolster so people can put their keyboard and mouse/trackball of choice up close.

I spent a week in a hotel room and let me tell you I kept reaching for it there, and there is space.

Maybe for the studio it's a keyboard and mouse of your choice, I would agree.

Pro control number pad is what I found ridiculous -
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Pro control number pad is what I found ridiculous -
That was very nice for setting and recalling memory location if you didn't want to pull out the keyboard everytime.

Wave-T.com
Old 07-06-2014, 12:47 AM

From Avid Blog description it seems there will be only 16 Soft Keys available on the right hand side of S3. I was hoping for Soft Keys with multiple layers/pages on the knobs at the top of the surface. 16 Soft Keys is too little if you want to use Snaphots, Layouts, etc. What might come in handy - an iPad application with all Eucon Soft Keys. Then S3 + iPad app would make me very happy. Without that, Artist Mix + Artist Control is a better Pro Tools HD solution than S3.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 07-06-2014, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milaszewski View Post
From Avid Blog description it seems there will be only 16 Soft Keys available on the right hand side of S3. I was hoping for Soft Keys with multiple layers/pages on the knobs at the top of the surface. 16 Soft Keys is too little if you want to use Snaphots, Layouts, etc. What might come in handy - an iPad application with all Eucon Soft Keys. Then S3 + iPad app would make me very happy. Without that, Artist Mix + Artist Control is a better Pro Tools HD solution than S3.
Maybe they will let you program a button to go to a new layer of soft keys
Old 07-06-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
The S6 can show metering on the display but then you need the M40 and display modules. M10 users are out of luck. Besides looking down at a control surface that close is in an odd place for my eye prescription. I'm already at bifocals and don't fancy trifocals.
I'm already at bifocals and don't fancy trifocals.

No need to sweat the trifocals, dude...before I had cataract surgery I had what are called "progressive" trifocals...they gave me three distinct ranges in which I couldn't see a damned thing...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 07-07-2014, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
I'm already at bifocals and don't fancy trifocals.

No need to sweat the trifocals, dude...before I had cataract surgery I had what are called "progressive" trifocals...they gave me three distinct ranges in which I couldn't see a damned thing...
I had progressive bifocals and they gave me a literally gave me headaches. My eye doctor and optometrist were surprised and switched me back to old fashioned segmented lenses.

QAPLA!
Old 07-07-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I had progressive bifocals and they gave me a literally gave me headaches. My eye doctor and optometrist were surprised and switched me back to old fashioned segmented lenses.
I started wearing glasses when I was eight, and I was finally able to stop wearing them when I was 64-1/2.

When I had cataract surgery, they used a fairly new technique where they set one eye for distance vision and the other eye for close vision...your brain is then able to sort it all out pretty well. So far, it's working well for me.

Of course it took me three months to stop "taking off my glasses" when I get in bed. One night I got in bed, "took my glasses off", started laughing to myself since I no longer wore glasses, "took my glasses off" again, started laughing again, "took my glasses off" a third time...at that point I just said, "to hell with it", turned off the light and went to sleep...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 07-08-2014, 04:24 AM

^^ He He
Old Habits die hard