Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 03-30-2021, 02:41 AM

Default "Dark" theme improvements in 2021.3

Any thoughts on the "dark" mode improvements? I've not downloaded yet so can't comment.
Old 03-30-2021, 03:23 AM

Default Re: "Dark" mode improvements

I don't like the dark mode at all ... improved or not ... better create something different and dark for a change ...
macOS 14.4.1
Pro Tools 2024.3.1
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
Apogee Thunderbridge/Apogee Symphony I/O 2x6
Eleven Rack/Focusrite ISA Two/Onyx 1640i
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Axiom AIR 49/Axiom 49/Yamaha P35
Fender Mustang/Marshall Amp/Ibanez Pedals/Fender Strat/Yamaha FG820L/Martin DJr10e
Genelec 8040b/Yamaha HS80s/M-Audio BX5a
Beats Solo/Shure SRH1840/Slate VMS

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7KfV..._branch=1&nd=1
Old 03-30-2021, 04:43 AM

Avid half-arsed it. They fixed some things based on the modified files posted in the longggg thread and left others alone (and made what was good before worse). I've had to make mods to the file that's with 2021.3 to make it a bit more usable and that ain't easy considering the way Avid has multiple lines to make something what it is versus a single line in the previous file.

It is a bit more usable than the original dark mode but not by much and not that I'd use it for more than 2 minutes. Look at post 480 in this thread: https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=412759&page=48 where Kev posted screenshots of the modded file I sent him. If you like that and want to give it a shot email me with a regular email address and I'll send it to you. Because the new file is longer than the old it would take three long posts to post it here.

QAPLA!
Old 03-31-2021, 01:43 PM

I saved the settings I'd been working on since dark mode entered our worlds, in case I needed to revert back to them, but so far Avid's latest hasn't tripped me up at all. I quite like just nearly everything about it. I say bravo to them for getting it figured out the 2nd time around.
Old 03-31-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I saved the settings I'd been working on since dark mode entered our worlds, in case I needed to revert back to them, but so far Avid's latest hasn't tripped me up at all. I quite like just nearly everything about it. I say bravo to them for getting it figured out the 2nd time around.
It's better but still not good enough. Still several things they could have done that were done with the modded file in 2020.12 but didn't do. Things like making it more obvious when a send or insert or plugin is disabled.

QAPLA!
Old 03-31-2021, 02:48 PM

I keep trying it and keep going back to classic mode. Some of my problem is likely the 43" LED TV I am using so I have ordered a pair of 32" computer monitors(still don't know why TV's look so bad as PT monitors). Once those arrive, I'll try dark mode yet again. One curious note; the other day I was on a ZOOM meeting where an Avid tech was showing some of the new features, and his shared screen looked better on my 43" TV than my own PT screen I also may need to change graphics cards if the new screens don't help

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-31-2021, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I keep trying it and keep going back to classic mode
Same here. Classic mode is still fairly dark compared to how it used to be pre-version 8
Old 03-31-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I'm using it now as well. Needed to change brightness on my screen but I like it more than previous.

I did not try what Jack had come up with so nothing else to compare it to except the previous version.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
I keep trying it and keep going back to classic mode. Some of my problem is likely the 43" LED TV I am using so I have ordered a pair of 32" computer monitors(still don't know why TV's look so bad as PT monitors). Once those arrive, I'll try dark mode yet again. One curious note; the other day I was on a ZOOM meeting where an Avid tech was showing some of the new features, and his shared screen looked better on my 43" TV than my own PT screen I also may need to change graphics cards if the new screens don't help
I just finished a troubleshooting process with three new ASUS 27" monitors that appeared washed out. I tried adjusting brightness and contrast settings but couldn't get it to look vibrant yet clear. Finally I stumbled upon putting it into "Theater" mode. I avoided this mode thinking was just good for movies but not data displays. It turns out that this mode allowed me to adjust the saturation which made a huge difference. The monitors are now working beautifully and the colors look the way it should. YMMV but it is worth a try.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 03-31-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Monitor setup (or type) can make a big difference. It looks better on my 32" 4k computer monitor than it does on my 42" TV, but the TV is calibrated. TVs often ship with vivid settings out-the-box, with extreme settings, and they need to be tamed.