Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2011, 12:31 PM

Default Pro Tools 9 randomly freezes my system. Windows 7

Hi. I was happy Pro Tools 9 user on a Mac, but I play games and I want to stay on Windows which I switched to about 3 weeks ago. I managed to get everything installed and everything is working just fine, but when I launch Pro Tools 9 it might freeze my whole system on loading phase: "Creating DAE Objects" or it might load it just fine, but I'm not safe after that because it might freeze at any moment when I'm working on my project. Once it happened after 5 minutes, once after 2 hours.
Like somebody else said, I'm pretty unhappy that I have to spend few days to troubleshoot this stuff, because I'm not a programmer and from what I see there is ton of stuff that may cause this and pretty much stuff to do in order to fix it.
On Mac it always worked really fine until I tried to mess with peripherals, but I really went pale on my face when it froze 10 times in a row. I was lucky that update solved it.
However I was hoping that this time update will solve this problem, unfortunately it helps not.

My system is Windows 7.
CPU: i5 2500K
MB: Asus P8Z58-V Pro
RAM: 2x 4GB Gskill
GPU: MSI N560GTX Twin Frozr II
Audio Interface: RME Fireface UFX

My system install is on C: partition and my Pro tools is on D: storage partition if that matters.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9 randomly freezes my system. Windows 7

Is autosave enabled?

D
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
ATI HD5400 series graphics card
Old 09-15-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylG View Post
Is autosave enabled?

D
Yeah it is, but do you think that solves the problem?
TBH I would be completely fine, if I only had to restart PT9, but it freezes my whole system completely.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:30 PM

If I happen to be opening a menu when autosave kicks in then the whole system freezes and I need a re-start. I would suggest working without and saving manually for a few days just to rule it out as a problem. If your problem remains, then you can enable it again. if it goes away, then just don't use autosave.

One thing to remember; the more automation in the session, the longer saving will take.

D
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
ATI HD5400 series graphics card
Old 09-15-2011, 02:29 PM

No effect, still freezes on start-up.
Honestly living with a feeling that PT9 might freeze every time I turn it on and it might freeze at any moment later, if I pass step one sucks.
Why every DAW has to be built around Mac :S

I tried this one, but no effect also:
Enable Legacy FireWire Controller (FireWire interfaces only)
This optimization will change the FireWire controller on your system to the legacy controller previously used on Windows XP and Vista. In many cases, the legacy controller improves FireWire performance on Windows 7 and can resolve many Pro Tools issues such as DAE errors, freezes, and pops and clicks.

Open the Start menu. Right-click on Computer and choose Properties.
Click on Device Manager in the upper left corner.
In the Device Manager window, double-click on IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers.
Double-click on the controller (or port) that your FireWire interface is connected to.
Click on the Driver tab.
Click on Update Driver.
Choose 'Browse my computer for driver software'.
Choose 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'.
Choose '1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)'.
Restart the computer.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:04 AM

I don't know, maybe it's because of this auto-save feature that you told me to disable and I did it, but now it seems Pro Tools can SLOW DOWN my whole system on Creating DAE Objects, instead of completely freezing it so I just have to wait and it will load eventually.
Same funky stuff when I make a beat, now it gave me this freeze sound from speakers, but after 15 seconds I received this:
http://imageshack.us/f/6/protoolscrash.jpg/
Some -9403 error, but now it makes things a lot easier and narrows my troubleshooting, I'm happy because it's a huge step in right direction.
Even after I get this error my PT sequencer is not working, but everything else is running fine, so I can save :)
On my Mac it was the same - you are running out of CPU power ( mind both this computers are pretty strong ), but it was like this: Error, click ok, hit space. Done.
I was thinking for a while about even changing DAW, but new DAW will bring new problems and I'm fine with Pro Tools, I know my way around etc.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:01 PM

dont know if its auto save or not... but that is not ware i would start. First YOU MUS RUN ALL THE PC OPTIMIZATIONS.

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=349411

if your still having problems after that... post a sandra report. Sounds like your trying to record to the same physical drive as your system and "storage" partitions. That will cause problems from jump.

You don't need to be a programmer to do this stuff. If your a dog owner you got to pic up some dog **** some times. Well welcome to owning a pro tools rig. Consider the optimization and keeping your system in good maintenance a good hunk of doggy doo.

Please do me one other favor. When your describing a total FUBAR crash that cripples your system completely. Don't start the next sentence with "but everything else is running fine" its not, you have some work to do. Everything will be fine when you are no longer posting system related questions. Until then everything else is not fine. All sorts of problems are interacting to present you with what you are perceiving as PT9 not working on windows. Post back after you've done the optimization so others can see they really do work.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:57 AM

Pro Tools should be installed on the C: drive. Well said above re system tweaks as they need to be done. Since they often need to be different than good settings for gaming, a dual boot setup might be worthwhile here(or use a SATA drive cage and swap system drives, depending on if you want to do games or work on PT. A drive cage is around $20-29, and you can clone your system drive to a new blank drive using any generic USB drive case(which are handy to have around anyway).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-20-2011, 10:22 AM

Ok, I'm getting kinda confused, I'll run all the optimizations, but I have one more question.
Should I buy one more HDD dedicated for Pro Tools or should I record to other HDD than my PT is installed on?
Old 09-20-2011, 11:45 AM

Windows is installed on the C: drive, you should also install Pro Tools onto the C: drive. On the D: drive (if that is the letter of your second drive) you should have your sessions. So the Protools application/software is installed on the same hard drive as windows, but the projects you open into Pro Tools should be stored on a different drive.

On topic with your problem:

Have you tried setting the session limit to 10mins instead of unlimited, in the preferences?

Also, in the optimizations guide have you deleted the prefs/database folders? I actually introduced problems like yours from deleting those.

Try to get your hard drives correctly sorted out as well as Pro Tools seems to be very vunerable to this.

Keep going, I have spent months and months trying to iron out these problems but I can now say that all that trouble was 100% worth it.

Macs work great out of the box, but if you spend the time and put the effort in a PC can work better.