Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-05-2017, 08:51 PM

Default Re: Looking to purchase New Mac for pro tools, help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Why do you need a "really understanding spouse" ???
Well, an honest question deserves an honest answer.

In Dec, the wife and I will celebrate our 40th anniversary. She's a keeper!! She had tolerated me and my quirks for decades, literally. I've been blessed!!

And I'm loud!!

My music room is approx 18x24. It contains a 6 piece DW Performance kit, a 750watt per channel PA built on a GX7. There are 2 MBPs, interfaces, mic cables, dynamic, condenser and ribbon mics. A Marshall DSL 5C 5watt, a Laney Lionheart LT20H with matching 2x12, A Fender Blues Deluxe Ri 40 watt, a Mesa 5:50Plus with Vertical Recto 2x12 50 watts and a really B.A. Marshall JVM 410HJS with a Marshall 1960A. Even with an Aracom DAG attenuator on the 410, I have to still wear hearing protection. Its a beast!! I have a Rivera Rockcrusher I move around to the other amps as I know no volume less than 3 o'clock. Did I mention I'm loud!!?

Adulthood starts at 90, and I can't help getting older, but I refuse to grow up and rock n roll helps!! After all, I'm only 18.................with 41 years experience!

Up tempo, Jack!! Louder!! : Leslie West
Old 11-05-2017, 10:36 PM

Thanks my Friend. Now I know

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-06-2017, 01:29 AM

Actually now that I've been using the iTrashcan for some time, I cannot recommend buying a laptop or an iMac for PT use, because other than basic editing without plugins, those things are noisy as hell and they need to be an arm's length away from your ears. The silence of using the trashcan is amazing and you need to hear one working full steam before you believe it.

Other than that, i7 and 16GB are the practical minimums today.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyB_KY View Post
Well, an honest question deserves an honest answer.

In Dec, the wife and I will celebrate our 40th anniversary. She's a keeper!! She had tolerated me and my quirks for decades, literally. I've been blessed!!

And I'm loud!!

My music room is approx 18x24. It contains a 6 piece DW Performance kit, a 750watt per channel PA built on a GX7. There are 2 MBPs, interfaces, mic cables, dynamic, condenser and ribbon mics. A Marshall DSL 5C 5watt, a Laney Lionheart LT20H with matching 2x12, A Fender Blues Deluxe Ri 40 watt, a Mesa 5:50Plus with Vertical Recto 2x12 50 watts and a really B.A. Marshall JVM 410HJS with a Marshall 1960A. Even with an Aracom DAG attenuator on the 410, I have to still wear hearing protection. Its a beast!! I have a Rivera Rockcrusher I move around to the other amps as I know no volume less than 3 o'clock. Did I mention I'm loud!!?

Adulthood starts at 90, and I can't help getting older, but I refuse to grow up and rock n roll helps!! After all, I'm only 18.................with 41 years experience!

Up tempo, Jack!! Louder!! : Leslie West
Congratulations on both 40 years of marital bliss AND that she's understanding enough to allow that gear collection. I have to ask about your music room - is it part of the house or what? And how's the sound leakage, given the amps listed and that DW kit. Love their sound; who's cymbals? Partial to Sabians.

You're the first person here that I can remember that references West/Bruce/Laing - shame they didn't do more.

QAPLA!
Old 11-06-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Congratulations on both 40 years of marital bliss AND that she's understanding enough to allow that gear collection. I have to ask about your music room - is it part of the house or what? And how's the sound leakage, given the amps listed and that DW kit. Love their sound; who's cymbals? Partial to Sabians.

You're the first person here that I can remember that references West/Bruce/Laing - shame they didn't do more.
Thank you! Yeah, she's a keeper!

The music room is actually a loft bedroom. And it's crowded. Other than a little flutter that I'm trying to fix, the room sounds pretty good with minimal sound treatment. As far as leakage, well, it's like there IS NO wall! I live in a rural area, so volume isn't a problem but I shut down when the sun goes down. I'm having issues with tendons in my fret hand so I'm not playing much right now. I had the Marshall 5C less than a day when I ordered new Ruby preamp tubes (same as TAD 7025 S) and a replacement speaker. Really woke up that little tone monster. I also have a Laney Nexus SLS and an Ampeg Pro3 SVT with a Heritage 4x10. There is no escaping that one, either.

The DWs are monsters in their own right. I have them tuned low. 10, 12, 14 18 inch toms with 18x24 kick. The 18 will almost create an earthquake. That's what I want them all to do. Cymbal stands are 5000 series. High Hat and all other stands are 9000 series. I use Zeildjain "A"s. They are the new ones that are made like the 1960s "A"s. I want to swap out the crashes for crash/rides and change from 14" hats to 15. I'm kind of old school, huh?

Actually, I think that quote was from the album, "Mountain: The Road Goes on Forever (Live), right when they kick off "Long Red." I'm a guitar player, but Felix made me fall in love with the sound of his bass. That EB-3 just drove the snot out of his SUNNs.

I have two grandsons, ages 7 and 10, that live with us. They each have their own 3/4 size Fender bullet Strats and Orange 30watt SS amps. One day all this stuff will be theirs. It just warms my heart when I hear, "Hey! Papaw! That's Steppenwolf!" Or "Hey! Papaw! That's Blue Oyster Cult!" "That's Led Zeppelin!" "Hey! Papaw! That's Black Sabbath!" I think that's better than the over processed junk on the radio today.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:45 AM

The new Apple iMac Pro comes out in Dec. A Xeon powered iMac will be killer!
Old 11-06-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Thank you! Yeah, she's a keeper!

The music room is actually a loft bedroom. And it's crowded. Other than a little flutter that I'm trying to fix, the room sounds pretty good with minimal sound treatment. As far as leakage, well, it's like there IS NO wall! I live in a rural area, so volume isn't a problem but I shut down when the sun goes down. I'm having issues with tendons in my fret hand so I'm not playing much right now. I had the Marshall 5C less than a day when I ordered new Ruby preamp tubes (same as TAD 7025 S) and a replacement speaker. Really woke up that little tone monster. I also have a Laney Nexus SLS and an Ampeg Pro3 SVT with a Heritage 4x10. There is no escaping that one, either.

The DWs are monsters in their own right. I have them tuned low. 10, 12, 14 18 inch toms with 18x24 kick. The 18 will almost create an earthquake. That's what I want them all to do. Cymbal stands are 5000 series. High Hat and all other stands are 9000 series. I use Zeildjain "A"s. They are the new ones that are made like the 1960s "A"s. I want to swap out the crashes for crash/rides and change from 14" hats to 15. I'm kind of old school, huh?

Actually, I think that quote was from the album, "Mountain: The Road Goes on Forever (Live), right when they kick off "Long Red." I'm a guitar player, but Felix made me fall in love with the sound of his bass. That EB-3 just drove the snot out of his SUNNs.

I have two grandsons, ages 7 and 10, that live with us. They each have their own 3/4 size Fender bullet Strats and Orange 30watt SS amps. One day all this stuff will be theirs. It just warms my heart when I hear, "Hey! Papaw! That's Steppenwolf!" Or "Hey! Papaw! That's Blue Oyster Cult!" "That's Led Zeppelin!" "Hey! Papaw! That's Black Sabbath!" I think that's better than the over processed junk on the radio today.

I have the original DSL401 - not too shabby but I really need to change that 12 incher out. Disappointed the current Vintage 30's are China made I believe. Got any thoughts on the Eminence's and if so which?

Cymbals - so many with so many different sounds. Like I say I'm partial to Sabians. Not many people know they're branched off from Zildjian - one of the family went his own way, ended up in Canada and started his own cymbal line/name. You might want to look into the Zildjian 15 inch New Beat hihats - love the sound when I hear them and not many drummers play them.

Fret hand tendon issues - isn't that what sidelined Dave Mustaine for a while? Have you tried lowering or raising your guitar a bit? Won't cure things but might help ease the discomfort.

QAPLA!
Old 11-06-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I have the original DSL401 - not too shabby but I really need to change that 12 incher out. Disappointed the current Vintage 30's are China made I believe. Got any thoughts on the Eminence's and if so which?

Cymbals - so many with so many different sounds. Like I say I'm partial to Sabians. Not many people know they're branched off from Zildjian - one of the family went his own way, ended up in Canada and started his own cymbal line/name. You might want to look into the Zildjian 15 inch New Beat hihats - love the sound when I hear them and not many drummers play them.

Fret hand tendon issues - isn't that what sidelined Dave Mustaine for a while? Have you tried lowering or raising your guitar a bit? Won't cure things but might help ease the discomfort.

Mesa has a contract with Celestion for British V30s. You can get them from the Mesa website. I put a Celestion Gold into the 5C. Its a lot more efficient and you know it! I put G12Hs in the Mesa cab. One is a 55 and the other a 75. The Laney 2x12 came with G12H75 Anniversary's, which are different from the other G12Hs. Laney, Marshall and Mesa Celestion is the hands down choice.

The Fender Blues Deluxe RI has a built by Eminence Fender 12". I love BDRI as it is because its so easy to dial up "swamp." With the BD RI, just add an Analogman modded Boss TR-2 and play CCR and Tony Joe White day after day, week after week! If you haven't heard it, do yourself a favor and pick up Tony Joe White's "Hoodoo" album.

I have the 14" New Beats, but desire the 15s!

Yes it is. I have raised my guitars and changed strings to .008s, except the LP and JEM, which have .009s The LP will get .008s soon. I'm the worst slide player you've ever heard, but I'm working on it I have tendon problems in my middle finger. Doc Sigmier at Rocky Mountain Slides is making a slide just for me, that will fit my middle finger. I have short, thick fingers and extreme few slides fit properly and the ones that do, I don't like. As far as I'm concerned Doc is the slide wizard! You'll never see his slides in the big box stores, as he is a one man operation who puts his heart and soul into making slides. Doc's slides have mojo!

Old 11-06-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
The new Apple iMac Pro comes out in Dec. A Xeon powered iMac will be killer!
Right up until the fans kick in.

I have a 27" iMac 5k that I bought this year because my 2010 machine had given up the ghost.

I don't regret doing so but imho an iMac isn't the right machine for a pro user.
At least not this pro user.

The new Mac Pro cannot come soon enough for me.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 11-06-2017, 12:58 PM

Yes, they can sound like a C-130 on take off.

MBPs and I assume iMacs, have two speed fans. Quiet and hurricane.

I put a small chassis style box fan on my desk that quietly blows across the exhaust ports. I've never heard the hurricane fans since. Before I added that fan, the ports were very hot to touch. Nice and cool after the fan was added.

YMMV!!

I'd love to have a trash can Mac. I've played with the options on Apples website and everytime I do, it's $5k or a bit more. OUCH! I can buy a couple of the older Gibsons that I love for that much. Then again, an i7 iMac would run me $3800. The iMac Pro will likely be around $1800 more. Sheeezzzzzz.