Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-03-2003, 09:41 AM

Default Mac g5 Buyer beware

i felt compelled to write my recent experience with apple. Thursday Oct 30 I decided to upgrade my old G4 to a new G5 dual processor. Went to my local Mac store in Ft Lauderdale and purchased one. As they were insalling my extra memory they found the the ram that came with the computer was defective and that it had to be replaced..I should have refused delivery at that point but what the heck I have had apples since the old apple 2. Well i got the thing home and it wouldn't boot. Did a clean install and it finally booted but the mouse and keyboard wouldn;t work..Finally after many hard boots it seemed to be running well enought to install my hd3 system..the next time I tried to boot it failed and has been failing ever since. Well went back to the store where i purcased the computer and basically they as much as admitted it was a defective unit. But they had no authority to exhange it. So they gave me a number at apple to call..They were very nasty and basically told me that even though the computer was defective right out of the box it wasn't their problem. Well the store won't take it back and it is now in service. I guess it's Apples new policy Buyer Beware.....even if they build it wrong with defective parts there is no replacement policy...So now i have a $3,200.00 computer in service that i have never used...Does anyone else see the problem in this kind of customer relations?
Gary M.Vandy Audio Productions
Old 11-03-2003, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Mac g5 Buyer beware

mixer,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with your new G5. I received mine a few weeks ago and it is working very well, so not all of them are bad. With regards to your machine, I would check out the Apple Discussion forums including this thread:
What constitutes DOA?

Talk with the store manager and with Apple. Be firm yet polite and insist on a refund or replacement and you should be able to resolve the issue. If you purchased the G5 with a credit card, another alternative is to contact your credit card company.

Good luck!

Mark
Old 11-03-2003, 10:50 AM

There must be a lemon law as in california?

Call the better business bureau or whatever local consumer association you have.

Make it embarassing for the dealer AND apple.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:09 PM

Quote:
There must be a lemon law as in california?

Can an Apple be a lemon?

Lee Blaske
Old 11-04-2003, 12:50 AM

I went through the same thing with a pair of brand new Dells last year. It took over 2 months for me to get working computers that I had paid for the day I ordered them.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:32 AM

well i contacted apple customer care..a very hard number to find...after waiting for 15min on hold basically what they said was too bad too sad. they have no return policy...i said that the computer didn't function right out of the box..they said so its the stores job to repair it.the rep on the phone didn't even pretend to care. now the store says that the computer has a bad logic board...which is why the ram was bad from the start. they will have to order it..but it could be that there is something else wrong that caused the problem with the logic board...this computer never worked out of the box...they have my money...time for attorneys....? i am starting to think that all of us audio guys who have been apples strongest supporters need to send them a message. the people in the store have been very cordial but seem to say they are powerless. i called some other stores other than mac central (where i puchased it..on commercial blvd. ft. lauderdale) and they all say they are willing to repair it under warranty but will not exchange it. since mac cenral has the best reputation i really don't want to take it out of there. the problem is with the company itself...they just don't care anymore..and arn't afraid to let you know. GARY M.VANDY AUDIO PRODUCTIONS
Old 11-04-2003, 11:11 AM

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Check another thread regarding emailing sjobs@apple.com.
I have had 2 out of four of my Mac purchases have bad motherboards. Luckily, I was able to get them fixed and working under warranty. I know this doesn't help you now, but a Pro Tools TDM system is complicated enough so that if there is a problem, you know that the finger of blame will always get pointed some other way, and no one will ever take responsibility. The only real solution is to pay the extra money to get ONE reputable audio company to put together the whole package including the computer, install the hardware and software, and make sure it is all working. If there is a problem, you make them fix it, no finger pointing or excuses allowed. Yes, my Pro Tools systems were more expensive this way, but neither my MixPlus nor my HD2 hardware problems would have ever gotten solved to my satisfaction otherwise.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:05 PM

Apple have a D.O.A ( dead on arrival ) period of 10 days - at least in Australia - I would assume that this would be the same in the States. This policy has been in place for at least the last 10 years. You should contact Apple directly if you have a problem with a reseller not taking responsibility for this. That sounds to me like dismal service.

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 11-04-2003, 08:05 PM

I'd call my Credit Card company and hold funds until the MAC works.

When plunking down Big $$$$ I'd like to have at least 30 days of my billing period

to check out the Merchandise!!!!

I don't think I'd want that MAC at all who knows what else could go wrong...

Well at least your not stuck with a tornado G4

Good luck
Old 11-04-2003, 08:24 PM

My advice:

Ask the sales rep to test the mac in front of you before the serial number is on the invoice. If it doesn't work, you don't have to take it.

Some ProTools reseller also have a special service contract where they will lend a replacement part during the repair, and repair on site within 24H. It sometime seams expensive (couple of hundreds $ to a couple of thousands) but how much does it cost to be shut down for a week? Apple also have these kind of contract

When I was working in a store, I was always opening every box with the client to make sure that everything was in the boxes. And I was testing the computer for clients that lives far.

JC