Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2002, 04:19 PM

Default help! I created a session that\'s too big to open

Okay, I got a little carried away with the RTAS plugs, and I created a huge session. But now it won't open at all! I increased the buffer size in DAE to the biggest, but every time I try to open the session, it hangs the computer.

Its weird because I created the session from scratch on this computer. Its hard for me to understand how the session can't even open, since it was created here. But so you know, I shut down and cleared the memory (cold boot) before trying to open the session and -- no joy.

Any ideas? At this point all I'm trying to do is use audiosuite to get rid of some RTAS plugs, delete tracks, etc., so this thing will run?

All thoughts appreciated!
Old 06-09-2002, 04:22 PM

Default Re: help! I created a session that\'s too big to open

Make a new session and import tracks from your stuck session and do some of the audiosuite stuff until you clear the bottleneck.
drew

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 06-09-2002, 04:25 PM

Awesome suggestion. Why didn't I think of that? Thanks a lot, man.
Old 06-09-2002, 04:28 PM

Come to think of it, though, how will I know my precise audiosuite settings, since I won't be able to look at the RTAS plugs in the old session? Is there any way to unstick the stuck session?
Old 06-09-2002, 05:19 PM

Not sure if your trouble is the same as what I had, but I ran out of room doing a live session 3-4 months back and tried to squeeze a little more out of the session after it had shut down, and it shut back down after about 10 seconds. When I tried to open the session again later, it wouldn't let me 'cuz I had used up the little buffer that is left in the session for file info etc. Thought I was dead in the water, but after moving some files onto another drive it opened with the "where is audio file xx?" query, so I was able to "save the session as" to another drive and reassemble the session. Whew! Went out and got bigger drives after that...

Harbour Sounds
Old 06-09-2002, 05:37 PM

Don't know the answer but, I wonder if adding RAM would help functions such as opening big sessions?
Old 06-09-2002, 06:09 PM

Did you try allocating more memory to Pro Tools? Click on the app once, hit command I, go to memory under the "show' window and increase the RAM allocation. This works with photoshop and strata. Just a suggestion.
Old 06-09-2002, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Anderson:
Okay, I got a little carried away with the RTAS plugs, and I created a huge session. But now it won't open at all! I increased the buffer size in DAE to the biggest, but every time I try to open the session, it hangs the computer.

Its weird because I created the session from scratch on this computer. Its hard for me to understand how the session can't even open, since it was created here. But so you know, I shut down and cleared the memory (cold boot) before trying to open the session and -- no joy.

Any ideas? At this point all I'm trying to do is use audiosuite to get rid of some RTAS plugs, delete tracks, etc., so this thing will run?

All thoughts appreciated!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Remove the most CPU hungry plug-ins from the DAE plugins folder, trash your DAE preferences and restart. This way when PTLE launches, it will give you a dialog box saying that so and so plugin isn't available, but you should be able to open your session. Remove those greyed out plugins from the Mix window channels, and then 'save session as' and quit PTLE. Now you can put the plugins back into the DAE folder, trash DAE prefs and restart PTLE again. Voila, you can open your session - the new one you created, not the original bloated one. I'd get rid of Realverb, Sansamp, anything else Bombfactory, Autotune, Waveshell 3.2 - if you have any of these on your session. If not, even getting rid of Dverb could help make enough room to open the session. You probably only need to remove ONE of the most CPU hungry ones on the track, and you can leave it on your desktop while you're fiddling.
Old 06-09-2002, 06:44 PM

Great tip, Frank!

Phil [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2002, 02:03 AM

Frank S, TooLoud and Dmazurek, any of those suggestions sound like they would solve the problem. This is one page I shall print and stick in my DUC folder. Well done!! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]