Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 08-02-2008, 12:28 AM

Default Macdrive HFS+ Issues

I've searched and found things close but not exact on my problem so I thought I'd fire up a new post.

I just transitioned my HD3 rig from a mac to a fresh built PC Q6600. I am having the strangest issues with mounting all my mac formatted firewire drives now. The first time I installed everything and plugged the drives in (daisy chained) they all showed up fine. I continued to tinker and get my system setup and then after a few reboots, the PC will only recognize a drive if its plugged in by itself.

After reading up on the issue in the DUC, I decided to upgrade the macdrive to the latest 7.2 from the vendor....no help. I plugged the drives back into a mac and scanned for errors...all is fine...no change with the PC however.

Was it a fluke that all showed up fine the first time? Do they all need to be plugged in 1 drive for every 1 port?

Whats your experiance?

Thanks!
Justin
Old 10-01-2008, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Macdrive HFS+ Issues

I had a similar problem with that. I erased all boot.ini in the HFS+ drives, I didn΄t know why they were there being HFS+ drives, but it worked. Of course, if you do that, do it by your own risk.

Cheers.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:04 PM

FW400 or FW800? I've found XP to have issues with the latter.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 10-04-2008, 06:51 PM

At this point im not sure if its Macdrive. I have now experienced similar troubles with ntfs formatted drives. Im starting to think its the system. I just built a Q6600 HD3 on an Asus P5K WS board. I am noticing that when I plug any drives in the back of the computer on either the usb or firewire ports it will lock up xp or not show up at all. very strange. I am noticing strange behavior in sessions now as well but that might need another thread.

J
Old 10-25-2008, 03:54 AM

I was having a bunch of problems, too..including that one. While most of them (in my case) come from IRQ sharing problems between video card, HD DSP and FW controllers, I think I've solved the "bad behavior" of my firewire drives (especially one of the two).

I took the drive that was giving me problems and completely formatted it in HFS and Apple Partition, NOT GPT (I think that is how the new "Intel"-kind of boot record type is called). My Mac Pro was starting up slowly because of that too, maybe because that drive used to have my MacOSX System partition when I had my PowerMac G5 (PPC).

So my 2 cents are, if the drive is GPT-formatted or had OSX Installed on it before (or the combination of the two, in my case) a hard format could help get things back on track.

At least that kind of helped me solve THAT particular issue. Problem with a Mac Pro Motherboard seems to be IRQ sharing..HEAVY sharing on IRQ 16 for video card, FW controllers and HD DSP. I think I might open a thread for that later on