Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2011, 04:59 AM

Exclamation *Rookie Warning* Playing over/auditioning over a recorded track, without recording

Sorry, this is very much a rookie question I'm sure but I was totally unfamiliar with pro tools (using SE) until yesterday!

My question is this..

I've recorded (for example) a rhythm guitar part and now I want to play a lead part over it. I can't seem to hit play on the rhythm part and then audition/play over it with the guitar sound set on the next track without hitting record.

If i hit record enable on the new track whilst the recorded part is playing, i get no sound through the guitar but as soon as I stop the recorded track, i can hear the new guitar part - please help!

Much appreciated.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:34 PM

Default Re: *Rookie Warning* Playing over/auditioning over a recorded track, without recordin

Hello,

Check to see if you have a direct monitor button on your interface that is not activated or to see what chanel you have your guitar plugged in on your interface. You need to click on the track for the guitar you are adding to select the channel 1 or 2. There are some videos on YouTube that show you how to add vocals/instrument tracks.

Hope this helps,
Dcader10 (Also a rookie with PT SE)
Old 12-12-2011, 09:56 AM

Default Re: *Rookie Warning* Playing over/auditioning over a recorded track, without recordin

Hit Alt-K - this switches input monitoring