Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 11:47 AM

Default M-Audio O2 USB MIDI Controller Help Please!

I'm using ProTools 7.1.
I have a M-Audio O2 USB MIDI Controller.
I'm using the usb port for the controller.
Using and M-Audio 1814

I have no idea how to set the MIDI up on protools, I can see the sound move but nothing comes out.
I'm sure it's some setting that i don't know about.

If someone can help me get this thing to work that would be great!
Old 09-27-2007, 09:13 AM

Default Re: M-Audio O2 USB MIDI Controller Help Please!

We would need to know which sound module you are using to help you further. The O2 is just a controller; it does not produce any sounds of it's own, so you need to direct the output of the MIDI or instrument track that you are using to a module that produces sound. This can be a software synth or a hardware synth, but you haven't told us what you are using, so we can't really give you specific instructions.

Pick a sound module to use, either software or hardware, and let us know what it is, and we will be glad to help you further.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 09-28-2007, 04:45 AM

Sample Tank 2 Demo or Click that is on protools or if you have a program that works beter let me know about it so i can get this thing to work.

Thank you for writing!
Old 09-29-2007, 09:43 PM

Well, A good place to start would be learning about the software you are using. The Click plugin is not actually an instrument that you can "play", it is just the built in metronome for Pro Tools.
It's kind of like saying "I want to drive in the Indy 500... can you tell me how to use the radio for that?"
You might benefit from the sampletank tutorial on my webpage. If, after that, you have specific questions, ask away.Again, It's kind of like saying "I want to drive in the Indy 500... how do I do that?"

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 10-03-2007, 10:14 AM

Alright let me ask this.

What would be a good program to use with M-Audio 25 Key USB MIDI Controller O2?

Maybe a free plugin?

I set it up how you have it on your website, but it still doesn't work.

maybe my pro tools is setup the wrong way. anyway you can help me with that?
Thank you for your time.

I have contacted M-Aduio and Dig. but they wont help me.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
What would be a good program to use with M-Audio 25 Key USB MIDI Controller O2?
All/any of them (Sampletank included).
Quote:
Maybe a free plugin?
Digidesign's XPand is a great plugin and comes free with all new LE systems (I'm guessing you're using Pro Tools MPowered since you're using MAudio hardware, but you didn't mention it. In the future you should; the programs aren't very different, but some answers you get for some questions might be LE specific). You can also get it from the digistore for the price of shipping it to you ($10, and SO worth it). There are quite a few other free instrument plugins that you can use. I've even got a List of them on the same website that I linked you to before (feel free to browse around there; I'm sure you will benefit from some of the other tutorials and help topics).
Quote:
I set it up how you have it on your website, but it still doesn't work.
If you set it up by my instructions, and it still isn't working, then you are doing something wrong. I really don't know how to make it any more simple than that tutorial.

Some things to check:
  1. Is the O2 installed properly in Windows? Did you follow the installation instructions for that device, install the driver, and does windows see it as a device? (if not, that could DEFINITELY be your problem)
  2. Are you sure that you installed the sound samples for Sampletank correctly?
  3. are you actually choosing a sample sound to use in Sampletank?
  4. Can you hear the plugin when you pencil in notes with the pencil tool?

There's really nothing to "setup" in Pro Tools, so it's doubtful that you have something incorrectly "setup". The only setup involved is creating an instrument track, inserting the plugin, and then selecting a sound, but that's all covered in the tutorial.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:09 AM

[QUOTE]
I'm using ProTools 7.1.
I have a M-Audio O2 USB MIDI Controller.
I'm using the usb port for the controller.
Using and M-Audio 1814

I would have thought that would have explained it, but i'm just so new to all this its kind of overwhelming.

Thank you for your time.