Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 02-25-2012, 11:11 PM

Default Pro Tools 10 Launch Error (-9514) "Disk Cache (DAE)..."

Greetings,

I'm new around here. I'm an upcoming mix engineer, producer, and 10 years and going beat maker.

I come from the FL Studio, Cubase, Ableton live background and was a bit slow when it came to trying my own hand in Pro Tools and the products associated with AVID.

I entered a contest and won Pro Tools 10, and had no choice but to dive in...fresh with a new i5 computer and other software I've been buying lately, 2012 just seemed to be my time to take this thing by the horns.

Unfortunately, my first 6 hours of the Pro Tools experience...has been or shall i say, WAS, a nightmare..LOL!!!

I figured I post to help out other whom have been hit with the (-9514) error code on launching Pro Tools 10 for the first time.

Initially, I installed the DVD, iLok + Registration, and 10.1 update like anyone should. I did the restart computer thing. I put it "offline" after the neccessary internet dialogs, and kept my system startup limited to video and sound programs.

This error came up about 20x each time I ran the shortcut off my desktop. I tried the 1 forum post i could find here via google for checking windows DEP, no avail. I ran as admin, I tried various compatibility modes, EVERYTHING.

Finally, after a few hours and 2 minutes short of throwing my computer out of the window...I realized it wasn't my soundcard, sound buffer, plugin, or anything else. So I uninstalled pro tools with CCLEANER. I also cleaned the registry.

Then i put the DVD back in, browsed for the setup, right clicked and ran it as Administrator.....and it worked.

How, or why...not sure.

But run the Setup as Admin..and install as normal. Update as usual. And keep your fingers crossed.

I got it running, loaded the demo song after copying it to my hard drive...and it played perfectly without a hitch. I'm using Focusrite ASIO drivers, and it sounds amazing. I'm impressed with the routing features, and appreciate the quality of stock plugins available and the precision they provide.

I thank Avid for keeping up the legacy, and pensado's place for giving me a reason to test drive.

I'll be around...I'm sure, learning the ropes.

Greetings From North Carolina
Old 02-25-2012, 11:47 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 Launch Error (-9514) "Disk Cache (DAE)..."

Happy to hear that.
Enjoy PT, it is a great tool!
Old 02-26-2012, 12:47 AM

Yes, a tool I will utilize to the bone! I'm looking for some good videos and or courses to get me fully acquainted.
Gateway-D: Intel i5 3.0 x2, 4GB Ram, Intel HD Video, 500 System HDD, 500 External Samples/Audio.
FL Studio 10, Steinberg Halion Sonic, Every Drumkit In The World!
Old 02-26-2012, 06:40 AM

Welcome!
I highly recommend the AIR users blog, just recently renamed pro tools expert.
Many informative videos!
Old 02-26-2012, 10:32 AM

Also check out the Operating System Optimizations in the Avid Knowledgebase. One of the Windows recommendations is to Run As Administrator - as you discovered.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 03-03-2012, 09:59 PM

^ Yes i'm used to running as admin for many things. But never figured from DVD would make a difference, but with windows 7 you never know 0_o

But it works, brilliantly.

Where is this AIR / Pro Tools Expert Blog that i may find?
Gateway-D: Intel i5 3.0 x2, 4GB Ram, Intel HD Video, 500 System HDD, 500 External Samples/Audio.
FL Studio 10, Steinberg Halion Sonic, Every Drumkit In The World!