Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-29-2002, 09:05 AM

Default What\'s the easiest way to flip phase??

I've seen some recent stereo widening posts lately that talk about flipping the phase on the track. What's the easiest way to do this. I've seen the phase flip button on some of the digirack comps and what not, but do you want to put another effect on the track just so you can flip the phase??

Let me know what works best for you.
Fitter, Happier Studios...
Old 07-29-2002, 09:10 AM

Default Re: What\'s the easiest way to flip phase??

I usually throw a 1 band eq on the track and press the flip phase button.

BigRedButton / Jackson Jackson
www.jacksonbjackson.com
Old 07-29-2002, 09:11 AM

By the way, is your username in reference to Pedro The Lion? Control is a brilliant album!

BigRedButton / Jackson Jackson
www.jacksonbjackson.com
Old 07-29-2002, 09:48 AM

Actually it is. Pedro the Lion and Radiohead are about my favorite bands out there, so it's a combo of both. I've been really into Pedro since they're first T&N ep "Whole". My old band played quite frequently at festivals with them (or him, David I should say) and I've been glued to them ever since.

Control is indeed brilliant, the sounds are so lo-fi but hi-fi all at once. "It's hard to find a friend" is still my fav, but I love the turn they've taken these last couple of records.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:06 AM

Hey guys,
Can you educate me a little about 'flipping the phase'? Pedrohead (cool name) mentioned 'stereo widening posts', which I obviously didn't read, but in what instances would you want to 'flip the phase'? Vocals? Guitars?

Thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ~Roy
Old 07-29-2002, 10:24 AM

Roy,
The specific post I was reading mentioned to get a wider stereo image on say...doubled hard-panned guitars...you should make a new stereo aux channel, send just the 2 panned guitars to it, but pan the guitar sends opposite of the direction they are in the actual recorded tracks (left to right, right to left). then flip the phase of the aux track (here's where my question came in). i guess you bring up this aux track little by little, and it provides you with a really wide stereo image of said instruments supplied to this aux track.

also Roy, i think i saw in a previous post you work in ardent studios? i did a record with my old band (mentioned in the reply above, what a name dropper i am!!!) there a couple years ago with skidd mills, i think he'd kill me if he knew i went PC with my digi [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . i wonder if we ever bumped into each other.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:58 AM

Roy,
Phasing occurs when two mics are picking up the same audio source from a different position and almost cancelling one another out. Most times we hear it as combfiltering. A sure way of knowing that you're having phasing problems is a lack of depth or bottom end to a stereo track.
One trick I use to check for phase problems when using multiple mics is to record the source, playback one stereo pair of tracks (ie, overheads) and then slowly lower the slider on one audio track. If you have phase problems you will usually hear depth return to the remaining track. Or you will hear that "whooshing" sound a phaser (as in guitar) makes.
A rule to eliminate phasing (from Sweetwater-they say it better than I):
3:1 Rule of Mic Placement. When using two microphones to record a source, normally you will get the best results by placing the second mic three times the distance from the first mic that the first mic is from the source. Confusing? An example: If the first mic is 1 foot from a source, the second mic should be placed 3 feet from the second mic. Using the 3:1 Rule will minimize phase problems created by the time delay between mics.

I'm not in front of my Digi right now but isn't there a button on each 4 band eq plugin (the standard ones that comes with the digi001) that flips the phase. I am positive I've used it in the past.
Flipping the phase will have verious affects. It can widen the stereo image, decrease phase problems or do not much at all.
Hope this helps.
Chris
Old 07-29-2002, 11:29 AM

Try these things:

If you recorded a guitar cab with 2 mics to 2 tracks, solo them, pan them both center, and put both faders on 0, set your nudge to 1 sample, select one of the whole guitar tracks, zoom into the sample level, and hit play. Listen while pressing +/- and hear about a million different guitar tones.

I use an xlr cable that inverts the phase on the bottom snare mic. All you need to do is open up the connector and switch two of the 3 wires. (not sure which ones right now) Top and bottom snare mics are usually out of phase!

And yes the 1 band phase switch works fine. If you need the dsp you can use the invert plug in audio suite.

Cool

Keny
just to toot my own horn, I am in the process of relocating to Los Angeles and lookign for a job, so if anybody knows someone who can help me get established as an audio engineer and producer, check out my creds at http://www.kenyruyter.com and call me 310-909-9115

myspace page
http://www.kenyruyter.com
Old 07-29-2002, 11:34 AM

Keny,
Thanks for the suggestions. Weird thing is...I've heard that snare drums when mic'd top and bottom need to have a phase switch on one of them, but I'm doing a session right now where I tried to phase switch the bottom mic, and it sounded worse. Is that common?
Old 07-29-2002, 04:03 PM

all you have to do to flip phase is put on a 1 band eq plug-in there is a phase button on it and it dosent take up that much processing power also waves S1 will work but be carfull with the stereo imager