Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2014, 06:06 PM

Default Connecting the 11R to amp return?

Hi there guys, well, I'm been just experimenting with my 11R, kinda' happy with the results, however, regarding the tone I feel I'm almost there, so I was wondering if maybe I'm connecting this in the wrong way. Also, please have patience with me because I'm new to this kind of things. Just trying to modernize my rig.

I posted this in other forum, but basically is this:

I'm using a Behringer V Amp GMX210 like this one:

And I'm connecting the 11R using the 11R back 1/4 output to amp thru the amp's effects return

Based on that I have a few questions:

1.- Does this connect everything in stereo
2.- Do I need to edit the inputs or outputs in some way?
3.- Am I doing this in the right way? I'm asking because somebody here:

http://www.elevenrackpresets.com/for...t&Number=19351

Said this:

Quote:
You need to go into the amp with your guitar, our the send of the fx loop on the amp to input of 11r, out 11r from output to amp (I think?) and into return of fx loop if you're ONLY using 11r for fx, and no amp models. If you're just using it as a power amp, go into 11r, out of output to amp, into RETURN of fx loop. This will bypass the pre amp of your Bandit altogether. Hope this helps. I don't use mine this way, so hopefully I have the connections correct.
I want to use the 11R for effects and amp models,

Thanks a lot guys!

Arturo
Old 02-01-2014, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Connecting the 11R to amp return?

The Behringer manual will make clear what is a sterero input and what is not. The FX Loop on this amp is mono. And each Eleven Rack "output" to Amp is mono (but you can use both to get stereo, all explained in the Eleven Rack User Guide, but so far what you are doing is connecting mono output to a mono input, no that won't get you stereo. if you want stereo input to this you need to go in to the Behringer AUX IN. The Behringer panel labels themselves also makes clear what connections are stereo or mono. And to get stereo from the Eleven Rack to the AUX IN the most common way would likely be to use the Eleven Rack XLR balanced main outputs through a Y cable down to an stereo (unbalanced) 1/4" phono jack. You will likely need to make that cable yourself. Good time to buy a soldering iron and learn to solder if you can't already. The amp/cab block in the Eleven Rack is mono, you only get stereo if you insert a stereo effect after that in the rig chain. Make sure you understand this in the manual if that is what you are trying to do.

I'd suspect worrying about stereo anything is not worth it if you are just driving the two speakers in this one cab. As always its up to you to decide what connected to what in different possible ways sounds best for what you are trying to achieve.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:00 PM

Thanks Darryl, I think I need to understand and learn more about this, by connecting everything the way I'm currently doing it, is that ok?
Old 02-01-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturocivit View Post
Thanks Darryl, I think I need to understand and learn more about this, by connecting everything the way I'm currently doing it, is that ok?
OK for what? You asked specifically about stereo, if that is the goal, then no this is not OK as it's not stereo.

But by definition if you (and/or other band members or a client) like what they hear then it is OK.

And we really have no idea of the bigger picture of what you are trying to do--but be sure to differentiate live sound/monitoring from recoding. You might well just monitor in mono and record a wet/processed signal from the Eleven Rack in stereo.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:14 PM

The way you are connecting is certainly OK in the sense that you are not doing anything wrong or anything that will cause problems.

Read the manual, specifically the different options for connections. It might take few reads if this is new to you but it will start to make sense.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:51 AM

Thanks so much Sam!
Old 02-02-2014, 06:53 AM

Thanks Darryl, actually I was asking 3 different questions, but to respond you, what I'm trying to do is only play my guitar using the 11R and my amp, that's it. I was asking about stereo because honestly I don't know if there's any improvement using this unit in stereo, again, I'm really new to this so I'm trying to achieve the best.

Thanks!

A.-
Old 02-02-2014, 08:13 AM

OK go play around and find what sounds best for you, first thing I would work out is wether I wanted to try getting stereo out of this amp box (and/or any outboard speaker cab). If not that opens up more options. You also need to work out if you want to use the effects/amp sims from both the Eleven Rack and this amp or just the Eleven Rack. Time to go experiment...
Old 02-02-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
OK go play around and find what sounds best for you, first thing I would work out is wether I wanted to try getting stereo out of this amp box (and/or any outboard speaker cab). If not that opens up more options. You also need to work out if you want to use the effects/amp sims from both the Eleven Rack and this amp or just the Eleven Rack. Time to go experiment...
I just want to use the eleven rack and its effects and cabinets.

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2014, 04:12 PM

I just checked GMX210 documentation and the effect loop is before the digital processor (amps, effects and cab modeling), so not where you want your 11R.

I think your best option is to connect amp1 (front) and amp2 (rear) in Slave In, this is direct connection to the stereo power amp. Just set each 11R rigs for stereo output and you're done.