Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2000, 07:16 PM

Default Run ACID PRO on a MAC System !!!!!!!!!

Hi.

Im using a MAC to work now and Im really enjoying. But the only down side is the lack of Sonic Foundry's products to the Mac community. For those who are not familiar with, Sonic Foundry produces Hi-End and revolutionary stuff to Pro Audio to the PC World.
-It's OK to use Peak instead of Sound Forge. (even for some reason I prefer S Forge).
-I can live with Masterlist, it's cool, but I really miss all the visual features on CD Architect.
-Ok, Vegas looks like a **** if compared with PT TDM, but it's good enough to beat PT LE in features...
-Acustic Mirror is an awesome plug, but not a need.

But hold on !!! What about ACID Pro ????!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is there something like Acid to MAC out there ? If so, please NOTICE ME !!

Im even considering try those windows emulators to run Acid on my Macs.

The Question is:

DID ANYONE EXPIRIENCE THAT ???? IT WORX ??? If so, please tell me your journey.
What's a good Windows Emulator to try ?

Thx in advance for any commetns......
2 cents aprecciated too...

G3/8.6 and G4/9.04
ddd

(sorry for my english)
Old 07-04-2000, 09:16 PM

Default Re: Run ACID PRO on a MAC System !!!!!!!!!

I have had no problem running ACID on Soft Windows. But switching between platforms and converting files back and forth is a pain in the...
Good luck!
Monster
Old 07-04-2000, 10:16 PM

Hi ddd,
There's no program like Acid for the Mac, though Alkali could come close in the future. However, let me note that while Acid is a neat little one trick pony, it lacks sound quality. I have a PC for Acid but I'm using it less & less these days finding other ways to get the loops souped up. Acid sounds especially bad if you have lots of tracks and bounce them to a stereo file. They flatten out and lose all their dimension and sound like cardboard.
I started with Acid using Soft Windows for the Mac and was able to get around 12 tracks. It works fine but if you wish to compose, you'll be hampered by the low track count. It's much better on a PC.
I have a friend who composed a dance for theater piece (14 minutes) using Acid on a Toshiba Tecra laptop. We bounced his 24 tracks down to two tracks and transferred the wave file into Pro Tools and mastered it. Everything was done in 16 bit, so naturally the sound was a bit thinner than 24bit, but I was able to save it by using some Wave plug-ins. However, I can never get over how Acid does something to the sound I don't like.
So, what do I do? I'll occasionally use Acid for some sound effects and drum loops but will only transfer one stereo file at a time and paste it into my song in Logic or Pro Tools. This way I preserve the sound a bit more. I prefer Recycle over Acid and even though it's a slower process, it yields much better sounding results. I hope this helps you...

Lenny
Old 07-05-2000, 10:52 AM

Thx for the replys.
Monster - I will try Softwindows ASAP. I think I can do Batch converting with Peak, it will reduces Time.

Elbano - Im with a Alkali demo right here, As Im on the Jingles-Spots market, as you know time is money. I can build a basic track with acid in 5 minutes, Alkali seems to be not so effecient when time is an issue, plus I already have a large lybrary and custom loops of wave files ready to use, it will be a big change. I prefer to wait alkali became more ...faster to use.... But the PT integration is a great thing !!

Thx for the replys sorry for my english !!

When the quality is an issue, give a try to Time Factory from Prosoniqs, it will take something like 5 minutes to re-tempo a single loop but very good quality !

ddd

Old 07-06-2000, 11:26 AM

Buy a PC box, very cheap.
Old 07-06-2000, 04:06 PM

Yes, this would make sense. I still have Wintels in my home, but where I work all the ppl (this includes my boss) are MAC devoted and they don't want to spend money only for me be able to run ACID...unfortunately. I would love run Gigasampler on my work, but they have those Akais wich replace it. The only problem is ACID. I will give a try on those windows emulators and will let you guys knows the results.

Thx
ddd
Old 07-08-2000, 12:04 AM

I too have A g3 woth OS 8.6 and have had no problem using Acid with Softwindows, exporting each track as a .wav file and then convert and importing into Protools.
Old 07-08-2000, 09:58 PM

Running ACID 2.0 on a G4 400 under SowftWindoze 95, I've used 20+ tracks with few problems. The only thing that's weird is that the graphics seem to lag the audio a bit, by as much as several bars by the end of a 4 minute song.

When done, you simply drag the .wav files from the PC desktop to the Mac desktop, and then open them in Peak (or whatever). Works like a charm.

Jeff D.
Old 07-13-2000, 10:37 AM

just thought i would point out you can effectivly use pro tools like acid by using bar/beats mode and the time compression/expansion features in protools
Old 07-20-2000, 05:23 PM

I doubt you will see a Mac version of acid any time, unless the Windows platfrom flat out dies, which is not likely to happen despite the demise of Microsoft as we know it. The reason for this being. From what I've heard there are a lot of ex-Microsoft guys at Sonic Foundry, which is why they started developing for the PC to begin with. This is not to say that they won't, but it's highly unlikely for Mac development. I love Sound Forge personally, though I use a G4 400 for Pro Tools. If you want a good alternative to Sound Forge, try TC Works' Spark. on the other hand, Bias Peak isn't bad either though.