Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2013, 04:15 PM

Default Connecting 11R to MacBook Air?

Got a new MacBook Air, I'm trying to connect my 11R via usb. I've downloaded the device drives, my computer shows the 11R, but it does not connect. I'm assuming this is something quick and easy, but I'm stumped (also new to the Mac).

The window for the 11R says the Firmware Version is n/a, Software Version is 1.1.1.

I've been running the 11R on my PC for quite some time, no issues.

Suggestions?
Old 08-29-2013, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Connecting 11R to MacBook Air?

Define "Does not connect".

Define "Shows the 11R".

What options are present for the Playback Engine in Pro Tools?

Are you connecting via a USB2 or USB3 port? If the later you may need to try connecting the Eleven Rack via a USB2 hub.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Define "Does not connect".

Define "Shows the 11R"..
On my Mac in the "System Preferences" in the "Other" category, there is an icon for Avid Eleven Rack. Clicking that icon opens a window that has a small photo-like image of the face of the 11R with information on the Firmware ("n/a"), Software Version ("1.1.1"), grayed out Digital Input/Clock Source and Sample Rate.

At the bottom of this window is text that reads "device not connected". I have a screen shot of this window, but can't (yet) figure out how to load it into the forum.

I am assuming, perhaps incorrectly?, that my Mac "sees" the device, that is the drivers are in place, but I can't figure out how to connect it.

I am NOT using Pro Tools.

I am using the same usb cable that works on my PC to connect to the Mac, which I assume is usb 2.

If it helps, I'm trying to run S-Gear on the Mac and use the 11R as my interface. Works great on the PC, but having a portable computer (Mac) means I can take S-Gear to my gigs. Since the 11R is not connecting to the Mac, S-Gear won't work.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:40 PM

So forget S Gear for now and do the simplest test. In the OS X Audio/Midi utility Audio window do you see the Eleven Rack listed? Can you set it as the System sound output device and say get iTunes to play out the Eleven Rack?
Old 08-30-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
In the OS X Audio/Midi utility Audio window do you see the Eleven Rack listed? Can you set it as the System sound output device and say get iTunes to play out the Eleven Rack?
With the 11R connected via usb, in the "Utility" "Audio Midi Setup" only the internal speakers are listed as output. So, no, I can't set the 11R as my output device.

I also tried connecting and different usb device, in this case an external dac, and my Mac used that to output my sounds. So it seems other usb output devices work, just not 11R. Frustrating!
Old 08-30-2013, 12:03 PM
Admin Emeritus

Can you open the control panel for the Eleven Rack on your windows system?

If so, what is the Firmware version listed there?

On the windows side, the software version would show up as a different number, depending on which driver you installed on Windows:
Eleven Rack Drivers
Old 08-30-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Paine View Post
Can you open the control panel for the Eleven Rack on your windows system?

If so, what is the Firmware version listed there?
Yes, control panel on Windows system no problem. The Firmware version is 1.0.3
Old 08-30-2013, 12:36 PM

Unplug the Eleven Rack USB cable from the Mac
Power cycle the Eleven Rack
Power off and restart the Mac
Connect the Eleven Rack via USB.

Does that now show up in Audio/Midi settings?

It is critical you never sleep/suspend your Mac/close the lid etc. while the Eleven Rack is connected. That may be part if the issue you are seeing here. Make sure you have do the Pro Tools optimization steps like disabling power management etc even if you are not using Pro Tools.

Try a different USB cable, especially try reseating the cable end in the Eleven Rack (yes I know this cable works on the PC).

If that is not it, grab a USB 2 hub and put that between the USB3 port on the Mac and your USB2 port on the Eleven Rack. Some interfaces have problems with talking to USB3 directly, I do not suspect that is really the issue here.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Unplug the Eleven Rack USB cable from the Mac
Power cycle the Eleven Rack
Power off and restart the Mac
Connect the Eleven Rack via USB.
Things like this make me crazy! I did the steps outlined (as I have before), but now it works!

I did try a different cable, that seemed to be the culprit, but I just now put the first cable back in, it works too. I'll call it a day, but I still don't get it.

Thanks very much for all the help!
Old 08-30-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBlues View Post
Things like this make me crazy! I did the steps outlined (as I have before), but now it works!

I did try a different cable, that seemed to be the culprit, but I just now put the first cable back in, it works too. I'll call it a day, but I still don't get it.

Thanks very much for all the help!
So what I've noticed is the rear USB connector on my Eleven Rack is fussy with some USB cables, even if they work perfectly most of the time, they are prone to problems if that end wiggles loose even a little. Ironically my preferred ~16' long USB cable is just rock solid, its my shorter cables that seem to do this.

See if that is really it or not. You must not suspend etc. the Mac with the Eleven Rack connected and you must do those power setting optimizations as well.