Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2006, 10:16 PM

Default Control Surfaces???

Anything new on the horizon? Need 24 motorized faders. Mackie still good? Tascam has discontinued the US2400. Digi Control 24 get a great used one for around $5K. Any ideas? Wait?
Old 08-24-2006, 06:33 AM

Default Re: Control Surfaces???

I just ordered a new Tascam US-2400 for $700. There is nothing else out there that can touch that price for 24 faders. Once the remaining few are gone the prices will go up, so even if you don't like it you could probably ebay it for more than what you paid.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:21 AM

The Control 24 is pricey in comparison, but it's so much more than fader control. You can literally track, edit, and mix a whole project without ever touching the mouse, and only need the keyboard to create new tracks. (the mouse and keyboard are more efficient in places... but you get the point.) The Control 24 is, IMHO, better then the VERY expensive ProControl and worth every penny.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:45 AM

Very true that the C24 is designed for Pro Tools only. The thing that sucks is that you are paying for 16 channels of focusrite pre that some find worthless. The guys that have outboard preamps that are better than those in the unit would be paying alot more for just that. Granted yes the C24 has some great ability. The Tascam is pretty interesting though for guys who just need faders, the ability to control their plugs, and aux sends. I am curious about it. The footprint is alot smaller too. The C24 does look cooler though, I will say that. Again, you are paying alot for preamps that will probably NOT be used by most spending that type of money.

Technically they are both just a BIG MOUSE anyways ya know.
For the price though, if you had all the preamps, I would seriously consider the lesser and spend more on other gear that you wanted. 5k + for that versus 700 bucks is alot of cool pres and compressors.

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 08-24-2006, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Very true that the C24 is designed for Pro Tools only. The thing that sucks is that you are paying for 16 channels of focusrite pre that some find worthless. The guys that have outboard preamps that are better than those in the unit would be paying alot more for just that. Granted yes the C24 has some great ability. The Tascam is pretty interesting though for guys who just need faders, the ability to control their plugs, and aux sends. I am curious about it. The footprint is alot smaller too. The C24 does look cooler though, I will say that. Again, you are paying alot for preamps that will probably NOT be used by most spending that type of money.

Technically they are both just a BIG MOUSE anyways ya know.
For the price though, if you had all the preamps, I would seriously consider the lesser and spend more on other gear that you wanted. 5k + for that versus 700 bucks is alot of cool pres and compressors.

Doc
The C24 is pretty cool and I've had a good chance to use it lately. Personally, I don't feel comfortable using it to do things like fades, cut, past, etc. I prefer to use keyboard shortcuts since that's what I'm used to. I agree with Doc that it's a bit expensive if you don't want the pres that come with it. I think I'd rather have an anlog board to track with and a dedicated control surface to mix with.
http://www.pureshift.com
http://www.bsodmusic.com