Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2002, 09:19 AM

Default Disk Allocation (read manual, did search)

Can someone explain this disc allocation stuff to me?
I bought a second audio drive (E) and I wanted to free up some room on my old drive (D), so I used Windows Explorer and moved some ProTools session folders (including audio files) over to the new drive(E).
Now, when I open any of those sessions and check disc allocation, it looks to me like all of the tracks are still on the first drive (D). When I select Custom allocation and try to change them to a new directory, nothing happens. All of the tracks are still showing up with (D) at the beginning of the track name.
Root media folder says :E, but the individual tracks all start with D.
What am I not understanding? Do those files (tracks) still retain the name they had on the original drive? When I record new tracks on those sessions, are they going onto the new drive?

Just for the record, after I "moved" the session folders with Explorer, I checked the properties tab of the drives and the "Free space" had changed accordingly, so I think I did that part right.
What gives?
I'm so confused.
I really couldn't find an explanation in the manual or in a DUC search.
You guys are so good at this stuff...what am I missing?

Feeling clueless,
Bill [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2002, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Disk Allocation (read manual, did search)

Quote:
Originally posted by murph16:
When I record new tracks on those sessions, are they going onto the new drive?

[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">They will go where they´re allocated. In many cases like this, they go to the original drive, by mistake ( I have some sessions on drive D, and their fade files on E... ). When moving sessions around your drives, remember to change track allocations to your new destination...
Old 05-19-2002, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Disk Allocation (read manual, did search)

Use the 'custom disk allocation' option below the standard DA window. You can name a drive, and folder to store audio files on for any newly created track without having to do it one by one. For already existing tracks, make sure you hold down the mouse button over the tracks allocation at the little arrow and you should get a pop-up for drive selection, or a 'select folder' option.