Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2002, 11:27 PM

Default Advice on Preamp,Compressor, and AD Converter

Alright I finally came to the point where Digi001's pre's and AD/DA converters weren't delivering the sound I needed. So I purchased some gear which was quite expensive. I wanted to get some info from you guys about the gear I purchased and if you think it's right for what I'm doing.

New Gear:
-Avalon AD2022 Dual Mono Mic Pre
-Empirical Labs EL8SX Compressor (2)
-Apogee PSX100SE
-B.L.U.E. Bottle Tube Condensor Mic

I'm still debating whether or not to get the HD3 system. At the moment I haven't needed all the extra tracks. Maybe some occational limits to how many plugs I could use at times, but I heard the HD systems can't use the TDM plugins at the moment anyways.

This is what I use my recording rig for: Acoustic guitar, Electric guitar, Bass, vocals, and possibly a drum set in the future. I thought having a stereo mic pre would be important for micing acoustic guitar with two different mics and micing one or two guitar cabinets simultaneously.

For vocals I chose a really expensive mic which has versility if you buy the extra capsules, yet they cost $700 a piece. Maybe I'd be better off with a mic like the Nuemann ML49. Someone even told me Audio Technica made a good mic that would be cheaper.

So here are some of my questions:
1. Is the Avalon 2022 a good choice for what I'm doing? Is stereo that important? I thought it was, but people have been telling me it really isn't that important when micing electric guitar. In the same price range ($2,727) would I be better off going for a single pre amp?

2. How are the Distressor EL8SX stereo compressors? Anything better than them around the price range ($2,887)?

3. I know the Apogee PSX100SE is a great AD/DA Converter but I've heard that the AD/DA Converters of the new Digidesign 192 HD system interface are even better. Is that so?

4. Should I stick with a versatile yet expensive mic like the B.L.U.E. Bottle Tube Condensor Mic (their highest end model $4,293)? So many mics sound different on different people? Is there another mic such as the Neumann or Audio Technica that might be better equipped for what I'm doing (guitar&vox)?

I know recording gear is all very subjective. I bought this gear but I have 30 days to try it out and decide if I still want it. After all, how can you tell what something sounds like if you don't test it out for yourself? I would have to say that my tracks sound unbelievably better, but I wanted to know if there were some other choices that might be smarter/cost effective in getting a "better" sound. So any imput on this gear or what professional studios are using would be helpful.
Old 09-05-2002, 09:38 AM

Default Re: Advice on Preamp,Compressor, and AD Converter

If you can't make a quality recording with that set of gear; then you shouldn't be allowed in a studio. Sorry to be blunt; those are all top of the line units; you have what you need gear wise. The rest is up to you.

Also, I would ask your questions and get opinons BEFORE you spend 10K; unless you're fabulously wealthy.
Old 09-05-2002, 09:58 AM

I don’t even know how to respond to this post...

You just bought some of the best gear on the planet, and now you want us to tell you if it’s any good or not? Well... WHY did you buy it? how does it sound to YOU? is it what YOU want?

I’m sure your dealer would appreciate it if you did a little research as to what you need before you unwrap everything. It’s not like there’s a lack of mic, pre & compressor threads on the net.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:02 AM

Oh boy, did grandma finally kick the bucket?

Sounds like you may have gone a little overboard for your level of experience...forget about the converter debate, your apogee is a good as they come.

Unless your bursting the seams of the capacity of your existing setup, don't go for the HD system, learn to use what you have to the fullest.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:04 AM

Holy cow, that's some pretty awsome gear, but with all that money, you could have gotten a kick but HD3 system with all the plug ins you'll need.

that's something to consider??

-Zeek
Old 09-05-2002, 11:04 AM

Some guys have the worst problems... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Sparky
Old 09-05-2002, 01:22 PM

Okay...well don't worry I have researched this gear. That's what lead me to ask about it when I went to purchase it. I've heard a lot about the distressor and apogee. I knew they were awesome pro equipment. I wasn't sure about the pre amp when I went in because there are so many and I was looking for one capable of doing stereo. The sales clerk recommended the Avalon 2022. I've done research but how can one EVER decide if they like a piece of gear until they have heard it for themselves? As I said the place where I purchased the equipment has a 30 day refund policy. I'm totally diggin the equipment I purchased but getting info from others is always helpful.

It's funny because no matter where you go or who you ask, you're always going to get a different answer. A lot of the times I'm being referred by young guys with budget studios just out of collge telling what gear is best suited for my needs.

I obviously have dished out a lot of money, but this is going to be the start of my career. I want to make high quality demos for myself and others. I want to get signed to a record company and in the future work as a producer/engineer. I'm enrolled in a recording engineering school and instead of dishing out $40 grand for college for four years, I'm putting the money into something that will help me reach my goals. So far I believe college would be more money.

Anyways, I'm appreciating all the feedback I've been getting so far. Hopefully you understand the agony of trying to build a home studio. I know I can't compete with million dollar studios, but I want something for myself that still sounds somewhat commercial and I feel inspired working on. So far the gear I've picked out sounds 100 times better than my mere digo001 before, but I'm still open up to other possibilities.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:32 PM

Ixnyx,

Well, I would suggest that the principles and talents necessary to make good demos; get a record deal, and make a career as an engineer have little, if nothing to do with using 10K worth of primo gear. It has a lot more to do with intangibles that just take time to develop, and can be developed successfully for a whole lot less money.

My sincere and whole hearted advice is that if you don’t have CASH to purchase this gear, then send it back. This is advice from personal experience over the last 15 years in this business.

We (the DUC) can certainly help you with advice on getting gear that will help you take your recordings to the next level, and will also give you a chance to stretch your skills, without spending 10K.

It sounds to me that you have made a HUGE leap into gear that is way beyond you personal skill level. You may not have the chops, ears or experience to realize and take advantage of the extra quality and value that this level of gear brings.

My experience is that gear in this range has almost reached the point of diminishing returns; you spend double the bucks to get that extra little 5% of magic sound. Great if you have what it takes to get the first 95%, not worth it if you don’t know what you’re doing.

Anyway, enough said.

Damon
Old 09-05-2002, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ixnys:

I know I can't compete with million dollar studios, but I want something for myself that still sounds somewhat commercial and I feel inspired working on.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My setup is similar to yours.

I have a Neumann 103 going into an Avalon 737 pre. This comes out to an Apogee AD8000 directly into PT. I have a better signal chain going in than most of the studios I work at that turn out platimum records every month. Sometimes I take projects to bigger studios to mix, but I don't always have to. I've spend alot of time learning my room, my monitors, headphones. That would be my advice to you. It's not all about the gear, but if you have excellent equipment the only thing left to do is practice. Play with your gear till 3 a.m. every morning. Learn your room.

I know my setup so well I could navigate my studio in my sleep, and I sometimes do. It didn't happen overnight, but when it did everybody was surprised that a few essentials and the know how would yield such great results.
Good Luck

L-Fire
EMO family