How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 05-29-2017, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Anyone Using Cloud Collaboration

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
...REMEMBER Rocket Networks. That sunk...
True but that was back in dial-up days.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:55 PM

NO, I don`t use it and probably never will. The same goes on with the loop stuff they added when nobody asked for.

But I could use warp audio if it worked!
Old 05-29-2017, 11:53 PM

I use it making songs and backing tracks with my bandmate outside the rehearsal room! And i like it!
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 05-30-2017, 07:23 AM

I have used it for album collaboration with my buddy in Germany.
It took us some time to figure the thing out, but after that it was a great experience.
Like someone here mentioned before... for big production studios, where you deal with NDAs and other proprietary legal stuff, it may not work, but for musicians dispersed around the world it is great.
In my case, I never had an issue with it, but I wish there would be an option to use other cloud storage services... I am perfectly fine with the limit of only 3 projects in the cloud with the Included Cloud Storage Plan license, but not so happy with the storage space.
It would be perfect if AVID would offer more options, like for example:
- Included Cloud Storage Plan: 3 sessions and 1GB of AVID storage
- Included Cloud Storage Plan: 3 sessions and my own whatever storage provider with whatever amount of storage I can get
- all other possible plans

I sidetracked a bit, I know... I'm still relatively new to PT, and to be honest one of the deciding factors to go with PT, was the ability to do online collaboration with my buddy in Germany.
So, long story short, beside the above storage comment...
I do like it.

- Mac Pro (Mid 2010) - OSX 10.13
- Pro Tools 2018.4
- Apogee Ensemble - Firewire
- Eleven Rack
Old 05-30-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horns-Up View Post
It took us some time to figure the thing out, but after that it was a great experience.
Like someone here mentioned before... for big production studios, where you deal with NDAs and other proprietary legal stuff, it may not work, but for musicians dispersed around the world it is great.
In my case, I never had an issue with it, but I wish there would be an option to use other cloud storage services... I am perfectly fine with the limit of only 3 projects in the cloud with the Included Cloud Storage Plan license, but not so happy with the storage space.
- Included Cloud Storage Plan: 3 sessions and my own whatever storage provider with whatever amount of storage I can get

I sidetracked a bit, I know... I'm still relatively new to PT, and to be honest one of the deciding factors to go with PT, was the ability to do online collaboration with my buddy in Germany.
I do like it.
Thanks for your helpful input.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:57 PM

Did you only use the free Cloud service, or did you buy a cloud subscription? I'm wondering if Avid recouped any of their significant financial investment.

Quote:

I do like it.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
Did you only use the free Cloud service, or did you buy a cloud subscription? I'm wondering if Avid recouped any of their significant financial investment.
I have used only the Included Cloud Storage Plan that came with my license of PT. Never purchased the Cloud Subscription.
Like I mentioned in my post, the limit of 3 projects was fine... we were working on two at a time at most...

- Mac Pro (Mid 2010) - OSX 10.13
- Pro Tools 2018.4
- Apogee Ensemble - Firewire
- Eleven Rack
Old 05-31-2017, 08:21 AM

That's fine.

But from Avid's perspective, they spent about two years of development time creating this feature, and it appears they greatly damaged the stability and reliability of the product in the process, all because the alleged "brain trust" at Avid thought there was money to be made selling it as a service. I'm curious if they got anything for it. Of course, I assume their target market was big post houses rather than individuals, but I was curious.

Quote:
I have used only the Included Cloud Storage Plan that came with my license of PT. Never purchased the Cloud Subscription.
Like I mentioned in my post, the limit of 3 projects was fine... we were working on two at a time at most...
Old 06-02-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
That's fine.

But from Avid's perspective, they spent about two years of development time creating this feature, and it appears they greatly damaged the stability and reliability of the product in the process, all because the alleged "brain trust" at Avid thought there was money to be made selling it as a service. I'm curious if they got anything for it. Of course, I assume their target market was big post houses rather than individuals, but I was curious.
My 2 cents:

1. Those using Cloud Collaboration could be exchanging files quietly since they trust each other or are happy to maintain money-making connections without announcing to the world.

2. Prior to Cloud Collaboration, there was eSession's defunct Virtual Glass which was for PT only; engineers could 'see' each other live and collaborate on a project. Not sure if some lost faith since then.

3. There are many great musicians/producers willing to collaborate; it's a question of finding them.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:55 AM

There are already a great many pros collaborating with Dropbox.

Avid's problem is that there are still a great many top people using earlier versions of Pro Tools HD so anybody switching would still need to continue paying for dropbox. One solution is the free version. Hopefully it can be co-installed.