Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 01-01-2016, 02:28 PM

Default delay compensation hardware

Hi,

Im a little new to this idea of using hardware for compression but I fear I might have just stumbled onto a HD benefit. I recently put in a hardware stereo compressor. I/o is fine and it works, but .... its phasing. Its a focusrite saffire 56. I spoke to someone using HD who does not know how to solve this as HD just works (now I know why they use it ) But its not working for me. I read around the web but found nothing?? Only that I need to find what the latency is is to put into the h/w insert delay. How do I find this?
Old 01-01-2016, 02:38 PM

Default Re: delay compensation hardware

I might just add its phasing as I am trying to use is as a parallel bus compressor on drums. I would have thought this should be possible?
Old 01-01-2016, 02:44 PM

Search for hardware insert delay in the Pro Tools reference guide. Well described there. The only HD hardware/interface benefit is Pro Tools knows its own HD conversion latencies. That is not always just what you need to worry about, well not if the outboard box has its own digital/conversion latencies.

Some more details would help. What exact compressor is this. you feeding it side chain? What exactly? Can you post a sample online? Your issues, at least with an analog compressor may not just be simple latency.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:04 PM

Its a Joe Meek twin q. Just going in and out.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:09 PM

if I just bypass the compressor I get the same phasing ie just going out and back in
Old 01-01-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangedaysuk View Post
if I just bypass the compressor I get the same phasing ie just going out and back in
Fantastic test! if the PT user guide does not answer all your questions come back again. This is all pretty straight forward once you do it.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:22 PM

ok thanks I see you have to run some audio and bus it to another track to determine the delay - i'll give it a go.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:25 AM

Ok this seems like it should be easier but its not.

Ive triggered a sound to work out the difference but it seems I cannot find the exact time to adjust by. I've uploaded the image of the waves? I cannot enter less than 0.00 ie I cannot enter 0.008 but that appears like what I have to input? Or am I just not reading this correct?

ah I realised sorry its ms....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 17.21.31.jpg (30.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-02-2016, 02:31 PM

Being as how the Joe Meek is not a high-end unit, my 2 cents, but plugins will equal of beat it, with none of the hassles. The time offset you are trying to enter might be different at a different buffer setting, so you COULD try that test again at the 1024 buffer, which would require a somewhat larger delay compensation amount(and hopefully one you could actually enter). But if else fails, I would not feel bad about reverting to using plugins for this(and most) processing. I generally recommend using plugins unless you have have some really high-class hardware(like real Pultecs or LA2-A's or maybe a real Fairchild)

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave