Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 06-25-2018, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Absurd and arbitrary HDX fan noise

I agree with Mike. Always dust your fans and computers, interfaces on a regular basis. I bought this 5 years ago and it paid for itself quickly:

https://www.amazon.com/Metro-ED500-D...70_&dpSrc=srch
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:04 AM

Just coming on here to gripe! Recently updated the HDX2 rig to current PT version, which necessitated a firmware update. The fan noise IS WORSE aka they come on way more often and way earlier. Good job Avid!!!
Old 10-01-2019, 11:23 AM

I'm thinking a simple snap on a black wire makes the fan silent but cannot recommend it since I have no thermo data which made Avid include the fan in the first place. I have shaken my head all these years, but maybe a workstation with HDX3 becomes too hot when used 24/7 so they had no choice.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:33 AM

Thanks @JFreak by snap you mean straight up cut it off the circuit? Maybe it's worth it. These cards are almost obsolete with the rentable native voice packs anyway. Recording delay is still the best, but that's really about it.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynedelario View Post
Thanks @JFreak by snap you mean straight up cut it off the circuit?
Yes, that's what I'd do if the fan is too loud. Especially if I only had one card in a relatively big box. But as said, won't recommend that because Avid likely won't be glad to repair it.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:59 AM

sooo, are there any HDX owners out there that have been brave enough to disable the fan on their cards? Willing to share whether their cards are still up and running?
Old 10-03-2019, 01:10 AM

I'd like to know that too....
Old 10-03-2019, 09:17 AM

Hello,
I know someone who did that on their system because they needed to operate in a quiet environment. When you pull the metal cover off the card you can unplug the mini molex connector.
ProTools will complain on launch that the fan is broken but it runs. The only issue you may have is how hot the interior of your chassis, and therefore the card, gets. The person I'm referring to left the metal cover off specifically because he had lots of airflow through the chassis and could keep the card cool without the exceptionally noisy hdx fan, your results may vary. He later moved the chassis to elsewhere and reinstalled the fan and cover.

Hugh
Old 10-03-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh-H View Post
The only issue you may have is how hot the interior of your chassis, and therefore the card, gets.
Is there any measurement for the record? Hot for your hand is not necessarily hot for the card.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:26 AM

Hello,

Quote:
Is there any measurement for the record? Hot for your hand is not necessarily hot for the card.
Not publicly published. As I stated some time ago in this thread, the firmware that runs the fans is programmed too conservatively on at least some of the cards in the sense that we've done thermal scans on all the chips on the board before and after the fans come on, and on some cards they come on too early. The units we tested, admittedly only two cards, had no ICs or other parts anywhere near thermal issues when the fan turned on. They also do not pwm the fans, they are off or full speed.

Perhaps set too conservatively to accommodate a variety of operating conditions?
Perhaps set too conservatively on only some cards?
Perhaps set too conservatively because they didn't think anyone would mind the extra precaution?
Don't know.

Hugh