Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 08-05-2018, 07:50 AM

Default When Money -And Noise - Are Of No Consequence...

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/in...ghz,37244.html

Not coming to my studio anytime soon
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-05-2018, 07:58 AM

Default Re: When Money -And Noise - Are Of No Consequence...

You would have to re-wire a few circuits just to power the beast and it's chiller.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:13 AM

but the thing is, it's not needed for us and never will be.

Honestly, tha 14 (i think it's 7940x) core can sit at 4ghz all day on noctua air cooling or water cooling.

Yes, not 5ghz, but easily 4 and quiet.

Two 14 core machines, one a dedicated VE PRo slave, at a permanent 4ghz, will do anything anyone ever needs.. Even the craziest power hungry users.. of course, the 16 core might be able to hit those speeds, not 100% sure on that, the turbo is there but can it sit there all day at 4ghz? Not sure.. But if so, that would be 32 real cores..

We are in a situation with audio where we can genuinely use the power of networked machines and keep noise low..

I know someone who is investing in that setup right now and I can't wait to try it out in two weeks when it's all done and ready.

Intel's overclock on the other hand, really does show the limitations for scaling GHZ on current chip architecture.. this has stagnated for years now.. Years ago i truly believed we'd be at 16 core 4.5ghz base speed chips now.. and we are no where near it.
WOW, to need THAT sort of cooling and power to hit 5ghz? Um.. no thanks.. not for any use.. only enthusiasts would bother, and they wouldn't run it at that speed every day anyway, due to the insane electricity bills.

I am actually disappointed to see what the chip maker themselves had to do in order to hit 5ghz.. I definitely thought we'd at least have 6 or 8 core 5ghz base rated speed chips by now.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:35 PM

And I thought the i9 chip was pricy !!!
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:52 PM

Even more important these days is properly written software that can take full advantage of several cores and hyper-threading. Any mid-line computer today is powerful enough for audio, you may need more power if we are talking about 3D rendering and editing 4K or 8K, VFX, etc...

For example, my current PC has 20 physical cores (40 hyper-threaded) 96GB ram. But some software will still choke because it is written poorly. It's not the power, its the coding. Unfortunately, we are still running software today that is based in code, structure, and method from 10-20 years ago.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 08-05-2018, 01:27 PM

As long as the bugs and other limitations are at play here you can get a 10000000 core CPU and it won't make a bit of difference compared to the midrange Computers out today. Waste of money you can put towards more outboard gear instead. All IMHO of course

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-05-2018, 02:31 PM

On Friday my new machine arrived.
I wanted to leave Hackintosh for genuine Apple again, but decided not to in the last second. I went for an i7 8700K (6-Core). And I am stunned.

I overclocked it to 5GHz on the first boot, fired up PT and I am in awe. Over the past decade or so (I'm not sure when it started) PT always gave me lags when editing. Hitting t or r for zooming for example never felt right. Same for nudging, fading, cutting clips, etc. There was always a delay between keytroke and the action actually being performed. I went through countless OS cycles and several computers (Macbooks, MacMinis, CG and trash can MacPros and Hackintoshes) and while overall performance always increased when getting a more powerful machine (i.e. processing power) the UI lag always was a factor. It always bugged me, I never got used to it.

Lo and behold - the new machine. I have no idea why. Is it the 5GHz clock speed (never had a CPU clocked that high)? I don't know. I'm running High Sierra 10.13.6 and PT HDN 2018.7. On that new Hackintosh I restored the latest Time Machine backup from my MacPro 5,1 the machine I was using up until Friday. So I picked right up where I left off, no clean install of anything. AND THOSE LAGS ARE GONE. For the first time since - I don't now, PT5 or something, editing on that sucker feels like butter. Like clockwork. As it should.

So why am I posting this here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
but the thing is, it's not needed for us and never will be.
We sure do not need a 28-Core CPU for PT. But maybe, just maybe, higher clock speeds are where the money is for us audio guys. I for one could hug the world at the moment. It's bliss, pure bliss. <3

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 08-05-2018, 03:01 PM

The magic spec is DSP calculations per second which is affected by clock speeds. Multiple cores cause additional latency which is why DAW and plug-in developers minimally use them. They are great for rendering video but not for real time audio.