Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2014, 06:09 AM

Default Re: First vocal mic you would have bought if....

My first mic was an m-audio nova LDC off eBay. $35
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:58 AM

I disagree with the concept a first recording mike should be affordable. It should be a very high quality general purpose mike. Less than that is a waste of money.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I disagree with the concept a first recording mike should be affordable. It should be a very high quality general purpose mike. Less than that is a waste of money.

What was your first mic Bob?
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:33 AM

I think it depends on your perspective and budget. If you want to take it seriously and can justify the cost something like an c414 could be a great first mic. If you are on more if a budget the cad m179 can be pretty darn useful also.

Either way a good LDC is probably my first recommendation just on the amount of ground one can cover. But a good dynamic can work for a lot of things also. Especially if they're more concerned with instrument mic'ing. In that case I'd recommend a heil pr22ut. Like a hot rod 57. It can work on almost anything also.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
I think it depends on your perspective and budget. If you want to take it seriously and can justify the cost something like an c414 could be a great first mic. If you are on more if a budget the cad m179 can be pretty darn useful also.

Either way a good LDC is probably my first recommendation just on the amount of ground one can cover. But a good dynamic can work for a lot of things also. Especially if they're more concerned with instrument mic'ing. In that case I'd recommend a heil pr22ut. Like a hot rod 57. It can work on almost anything also.
I would never recommend any Heil mic. I used to use them with my ham radio rigs and they have a nasty sound. I'm not referring to the bandwidth restrictions because you can have restricted bandwidth but still have a good sound. They are not the cleanest of mics. Switched to Neumann BCM705's. Now there's a good general purpose dynamic mic.

QAPLA!
Old 06-06-2014, 02:44 PM

AT4060 used - ~ $750
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 06-06-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I would never recommend any Heil mic. I used to use them with my ham radio rigs and they have a nasty sound. I'm not referring to the bandwidth restrictions because you can have restricted bandwidth but still have a good sound. They are not the cleanest of mics. Switched to Neumann BCM705's. Now there's a good general purpose dynamic mic.

Which ones have you used? I've used several and think they're solid mics. But I've only used their music mics. I do know they have a series just for ham radios and I'm clueless about those.

Fwiw we use a heil rc35 paired with a Shure ulx-d rig for the lead singer at church and it is great. Way better than the beta 87 system it replaced. Just as clear, a little better low end response, and so much less background noise/bleed it's not funny. It's also a very popular choice for many main stream touring acts.

We also have their pr48 kick mic and I really like it. Gives a good picture of how the drum sounds and takes EQ really well. That way you can "tune" it to what ever style you're needing.

I've got several of their pr22ut's too. I've heard complaints about handling noise, but I've never used it for vocals so I can't comment on that. But on snare and electric guitars it's great. Doesn't have the honk of a
57 and a little more extended high end.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
Which ones have you used? I've used several and think they're solid mics. But I've only used their music mics. I do know they have a series just for ham radios and I'm clueless about those.

Fwiw we use a heil rc35 paired with a Shure ulx-d rig for the lead singer at church and it is great. Way better than the beta 87 system it replaced. Just as clear, a little better low end response, and so much less background noise/bleed it's not funny. It's also a very popular choice for many main stream touring acts.

We also have their pr48 kick mic and I really like it. Gives a good picture of how the drum sounds and takes EQ really well. That way you can "tune" it to what ever style you're needing.

I've got several of their pr22ut's too. I've heard complaints about handling noise, but I've never used it for vocals so I can't comment on that. But on snare and electric guitars it's great. Doesn't have the honk of a
57 and a little more extended high end.
I haven't used their non-ham mics but usually the apple doesn't fall to far from the tree so I'm lumping all their mics in one basket. Handling noise has really been an issue; Heil doesn't really do any shock mounting or noise abatement in their mics. You pretty much have to do that with third party shock mounting.

QAPLA!
Old 06-08-2014, 02:43 PM

Microphones are just a small part of the chain, we started with a rode nt2000 and loved it (pre amp was an octopre) but there always seemed to b something missing,
As things improved in the chain so did the nt2000.
Cheers
Old 06-08-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I haven't used their non-ham mics but usually the apple doesn't fall to far from the tree so I'm lumping all their mics in one basket. Handling noise has really been an issue; Heil doesn't really do any shock mounting or noise abatement in their mics. You pretty much have to do that with third party shock mounting.

Well you might not want to lump them all in a basket. And while the pr22ut may have some handling noise, they addressed it with the pr20. And I've never had an issue with handling noise.

Also the rc35 is becoming pretty popular with big tours. I read an article where cee lo's sound guy has started using them and loves them. And here's and older review I quickly found.

http://www.fohonline.com/home/23-roa...-capsules.html