Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2013, 02:17 AM

Default Re: I Can't Wait - Quick Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caatalyst View Post
I did have a quick question. I bought a copy of Pro Tools 9 in 2011. It was the academic copy with 4 years free upgrades. Does anybody know how this works?
I'm wondering the exact same thing.

Bought Pro Tools 10.0 for Students barely 6 months ago with the expectation to receive the advertised 4 years free upgrades.

The press releases have made no mention of it though, so it worries a little
: ¯
Old 04-08-2013, 04:45 AM

Default Sooo.... What happened to student 4 year free upgrades.

Please tell me they will honour their agreement as this is just false advertisement to gain sales and surely there must be an organisation to which we can raise a complaint.

I have an email stating 4 years free upgrades and will be expecting to have that email honoured.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:51 AM

Default Re: Sooo.... What happened to student 4 year free upgrades.

Russ covered it in the Pro Tools-Experts video cast on 11.
11 is not free to EDU users. But it's still a bargain.
I don't know if they are legally bound to providing 4 years of free upgrades, but it strongly appears as if they aren't...

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 04-08-2013, 05:47 AM

Some clarification from Avid on this would be nice.

Its still a bit early in the game. Some of it may be due to what they classify as Student and Academic versions. Possibly even the time frame of the initial offer. The product won't be released right away so there's no reason to upgrade without an explanation.

That's presented as a user, at this point the moderators really don't know anything more than what's been publicly announced.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-08-2013, 06:37 AM

Exactly. The only Academic version that is promised 4 years of FREE upgrades is the Student Edition of Pro Tools. Hopefully, the Student Edition isn't included in those Academic upgrade fees!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:57 AM

Default PT10 EDU question

Last year I bought a PT10 EDU Student (as I'm studying Music Production on a University). When I open the box it said "PT10 EDU Institucion" and I emailed back the shop and they told me to send the documents to prove i?m a student and register it. Did all that.

Now the question: I keep getting on AVID that I have a EDU Institution PT. Will I be able to get the 4 years upgrade this way?

What should I do? CAnt find any email to contact Avid.

Thanks for the help
UA OCTO Thunderbolt, UAD Twin MK2 QUAD
Old 04-08-2013, 09:24 AM

Especially as I got the PT10 + Media Composer 6.5 Student bundle with 4 years of free upgrades last autumn, so i haven't had a single free 'upgrade' yet.

And with rumours that Media Composer 7 will also be announced, I'll be even more gutted if I have to pay for free upgrades to two pieces of Avid software!
Old 04-08-2013, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11 Student Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
It's a 99$ upgrade fee from pt 10 to pt 11, and 149$ from 9 to 11 if I remember right. The video of Russ Hughs from pro tools expert on youtube mentioned it. Unfortunately the pres release doesn't include the price for the student offer, will pass the word to see if it can be included in it.
If I remember correctly, Avid stopped offering the 4 years free upgrades when PT10 Academic was released, so my guess is, those who were lucky enough to get the PT9 Academic with 4 Years free upgrade will get it..... Because that's what they bought.... And those who bought PT10 Academic will have to pay $99..... But we'll see...

Last edited by drumdandrum; 04-08-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:10 PM

I just spoke to my sweetwater rep about this.

They assured me that I would get a free upgrade (academic). I think what the pricing that showed an academic crossgrade was simply how much it would cost to start on the upgrade track.

For example:
Let's say you bought PT9 outright, no academic anything. After purchasing, you become a student. Then, let's say when 10 came out, you crossgraded to 10, but did so as a student, and thus paid the 'student/academic' upgrade price this one time. Now, since you have that student crossgrade that you paid for to jump from 9 to 10, you are now on the student/academic upgrade track and will pay nothing to get future upgrades *unless you have to get a next gen iLok, like me
Old 04-08-2013, 03:19 PM

I'm still using my first generation iLok with no problems.

I put my other non-student PT10 licence on the new iLok and it just sits there unused most of the time.

I didn't move everything over to the new iLok because I' read some horror stories about people having those new iLoks failing quite quickly from new.

So I treat it as my emergency spare.