Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2018, 03:32 PM

Default Music Modernization Act Signed Into Law

It appears that today President Trump signed the Music Modernization Act into law.

Quote:
What does all this mean? First, songwriters and artists will receive royalties on songs recorded before 1972. Second, the MMA will improve how songwriters are paid by streaming services with a single mechanical licensing database overseen by music publishers and songwriters. The cost of creating and maintaining this database will be paid for by digital streaming services. Third, the act will take unclaimed royalties due to music professionals and provide a consistent legal process to receive them. Previously, these unclaimed royalties were held by digital service providers like Spotify. All of this should also ensure that artists are paid more and have an easier time collecting money they are owed.

Another part of the bill:

Quote:
The Classics Act is another part of the bill, and it ensures that artists are properly compensated for pre-1972 master recordings. Additionally, the Allocation for Music Producers (AMP) Act provides for increased compensation for producers and engineers when their music is used on online and satellite radio.

The bill is officially the Orrin G. Hatch Music Modernization Law. What is interesting about that is that Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah), is also a composer, so he probably had some keen interest in this law. Most people aren't aware of this side of Sen. Hatch.

I didn't even realize such a thing was in the works until I stumbled on the news story. I wonder if other nations will follow suit?

Old 10-11-2018, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Music Modernization Act Signed Into Law

Wow that is super cool
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:31 PM

I'm super happy, this might be the best that has happened to us composers since the era of digital distribution began and it goes even further!

This act has been around since the days of pres Bush jr but nobody cared to pass it until now. However I didn't know the senator was a composer himself until yesterday, I'm following him on Twitter, it's good to know somebody cares and knows about.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
I'm super happy, this might be the best that has happened to us composers since the era of digital distribution began and it goes even further!

This act has been around since the days of pres Bush jr but nobody cared to pass it until now. However I didn't know the senator was a composer himself until yesterday, I'm following him on Twitter, it's good to know somebody cares and knows about.

What many people don't know is that a few of Sen. Hatch's songs have been featured in some big films, such as this one from "Oceans 12" which he wrote with Madeline Stone. Its a side of the Senator many people don't know about. He wrote this song for his close friend the late Sen. Ted Kennedy and his wife. Even though they were politically opposite, they remained close personal friends until Sen. Kennedy's death. Pretty interesting.

So, songwriters and producers have had strong ally in D.C. all this time.