Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2009, 09:53 AM

Cool Importing Audio

I do alot of Rap stuff where I import the file as a wav or whatever, align it to the sequencer tempo and away we go..I've been working with Digital Performer for years and this process is pretty straight foward...once I get the audio in the session I just adjust the tempo of the sequencer on the fly till I see the 1st downbeat on the 1. Then I turn the metronome on and dial it in..On PT7.4 I'm having a problem with the process..when I import the audio in it seems that I either need to know the tempo beforehand or it's a little tricky...When I have the audio in the track, as I adjust the tempo the pitch on the audio starts to change and thats not what I want..I want the pitch to stay the same...I want to wrap the sequencer around the audio...Am I not using or understanding the elastic audio process or something? Thanx
Old 01-28-2009, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Importing Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaudio View Post
When I have the audio in the track, as I adjust the tempo the pitch on the audio starts to change and thats not what I want..I want the pitch to stay the same...I want to wrap the sequencer around the audio...Am I not using or understanding the elastic audio process or something? Thanx
It's my poor english, or I'm tired enough.
Looks like you start eating your cat from the tail end...

In you PT preferences: say NO to having every new track Elastic Audio enabled; say NO to having imported Audio conformed to session tempo (I think it's in a completely different section of Setup).
Ensure the track where you just imported your audio is NOT TickBased

NOW drop your file on a new track and play with the session tempo, your audio file should stay in place, while the Bars oughtta dance around it.

Or did I missunderstand?
Old 01-28-2009, 10:07 PM

No u hit the nail right on the head, I'm going to try that..here is another stupid question. As far as beat resolution....In performer I worked primaily with 480 ticks per beat..Is there a way I can have PT boot up to 480 ticks or do I have to change that for every session? Thanx alot for answer!!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 10:12 PM

One more thing...I'm ignorant or maybe I call it something else but what is tick-based audio?