Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 12-16-2020, 08:45 PM

Default Glitch with measures and timeline marker on desktop background

Hello, I'm very very very new to this forum (first time visiting ever) and Pro Tools First, so I'm sorry if this topic has been covered somewhere else, but I couldn't find it.

I recently upgraded to Pro Tools First 2020.9.0, and an irritating glitch makes working with a project difficult. All the measure numbers and the timeline marker are not in the GUI of PTF, rather they are imprinted on my PC desktop background:

I've tried at least 4-5 random fixes I found with a google search that have not worked. All my software is UTD. Here are the specs:

Pro Tools First 2020.9.0
Win 10 64 bit
NVidia GForce RTX2070

Please help! Also let me know if more system information is needed, I'm very new at this.
Attached Images
File Type: png Protools Glitch.png (48.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Desktop Glitch.jpg (16.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-17-2020, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Glitch with measures and timeline marker on desktop background

Welcome aboard Here's my initial thoughts:
1-Try updating the graphics driver from the nVidia website.
2-Review all the required system tweaks to see if you missed any.
3-can't think of anything else at the moment

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-26-2020, 09:30 PM

Thank you, albee1952, I appreciate your response.

1 - I checked out all the updates on the web, all UTD
2 - I meet all system specs
3 - Me neither

I'm hoping they drop an update soon, as they recently updated regular Pro Tools. We shall see.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:12 AM

This would have more to do with your video card than Pro Tools.
You don't give much information about your system, so it's difficult to know exactly what you have.

If this is a notebook that is equipped with the RTX2070, then I would use the manufacturers driver and not the one directly from NVidia.

And, if it's not a notebook but the manufacturer of your card offers a driver, I would install that one and see if it makes a difference.

If you are getting the driver directly from Nvidia, which one are your using; the Studio or Game Ready driver? I would suggest trying whatever one you are not currently using to see if that helps.

You can also try a custom install and just installing the main driver when you run the NVidia installer and not install all the extra stuff that comes with it.

If that works, then you can put back the other packages (PhysX,....) one by one to see if any one of those breaks it.

Lastly, you can try installing a driver that is a few versions back to see if that fixes the issue. Sometimes things break in the latest driver and it takes a while for a fix to come out.

System Details
Old 01-11-2021, 08:15 AM

Thank you very very much @junkgear. That was a very helpful response.

On my PC the GUI problem is only with PTF 2020.9. I reverted to version 2019.6 and it works well without any GUI glitches. However, there were a host of other problems on my PC with BOTH versions (e.g issues with my m-audio device, play-pause mode, record pause mode, MIDI playback/input, "ran out of CPU" errors, even "exit errors").

So I installed 2020.9 on my laptop, also a Win 10 machine with similar specs, and everything works without any GUI glitches, and fewer other glitches haha.

So I agree with you, PTF hates my PC and everything about it, so I'm just going with my laptop for now.

I'll let you know if I revisit it some day and if your suggestions help. Thanks again for your response!