Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 06-27-2019, 12:11 AM

Default Re: New Mac Pro

I was wondering what do you think about the GPU....does the rx580 is good enough for protools users or should we invest in their MPX thing? I’ve got a 2010 mac pro with a rx580 connected to 2 4k monitors and one HD monitor for flux pure analyzer...sometimes I have the feeling it takes a lot of ressources, but I’m not sure if it’s because of the 3rd party gpu or the power needed for protools (and flux)
Old 06-27-2019, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarnekci View Post
I was wondering what do you think about the GPU....does the rx580 is good enough for protools users or should we invest in their MPX thing? I’ve got a 2010 mac pro with a rx580 connected to 2 4k monitors and one HD monitor for flux pure analyzer...sometimes I have the feeling it takes a lot of ressources, but I’m not sure if it’s because of the 3rd party gpu or the power needed for protools (and flux)
This is a question I'd like to know the answer to, too. I have a 2010 Mac Pro with a RX480, driving a single 4K60 monitor and Pro Tools is quite laggy (although very crisp). In particularly, plugins that have a large UI such as SoundToys Effect Rack take a while to appear.

As far as the new Mac Pro is concerned, the RX580 would be preferable as it's presumably quite a bit cheaper and also only takes one PCIe slot.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
This is a question I'd like to know the answer to, too. I have a 2010 Mac Pro with a RX480, driving a single 4K60 monitor and Pro Tools is quite laggy (although very crisp). In particularly, plugins that have a large UI such as SoundToys Effect Rack take a while to appear.

As far as the new Mac Pro is concerned, the RX580 would be preferable as it's presumably quite a bit cheaper and also only takes one PCIe slot.
Also running at 4k60 here and PT 2019.5 is STILL horribly laggy unless I run it in low resolution - which looks very nasty and is hard to read.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:58 AM

On the positive side 2019.5 at 4K doesn’t seem to kill the CPU like previous versions (or is that upgrading to Mojave, I can’t say).
Old 06-28-2019, 03:29 AM

Default Re: Apple Keynote going

These machines are made for lease and not permanent ownership in my opinion.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Certainly you can't have Avid qualify it, but I have 7980xe (18 core) hacks I've built that cost about 3k each with a 2tb m.2. They comfortably overclock to 4.5g and are monster machines for audio due to all cores at 4.5g. I have two machines now in use (multiop) around 100+ hours a week and they run really well, with TB and all.

Not for everyone for sure, but I don't think the price argument here is a very good one. That all said, I'm happy with my hacks for now, but I'm also glad to see apple make a computer that I would consider buying in the future. I will be interested to see if they will be able to update this.

My concern is that when more core's isn't going to be the best bet for audio, Intel's HEDT form factor will probably always be the best choice for audio, and it doesn't look like Apple plans to use it at all.

Can you post a link to your specs? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk