Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2006, 09:22 PM

Default HD questions

Hi,

I am a long time LE user and I am looking into crossing over to HD. My buisness has grown a lot and the need for greater track counts and plugins are making it so that I need to upgrade. I was wondering about a few things.

1. what is the smartest option to start with from my 002 setup? Will HD1 be a good start? I have a budget and dont want to spend a million bucks. I was thinking i might get a 96 i/o and HD1. I am tracking vocals, mixing. I think it will be enough. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

2. what kind of a learning curve will I experince when I make the change? What are some thing I should look into before switching?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Mike

[email protected]
Old 01-12-2006, 12:23 AM

Default Re: HD questions

Hi Mike,

You would be pretty happy with a 96 I/O and an HD I. Better converters for starters, and if you are going to get some better preamps that's cool too, but the 002 pres are OK. Maybe you can tell us more about what you will be doing, what kind of budget you have...if you are indeed planning on using/buying some outboard preamps, ywhat our budget is for plug-ins you may want/need but won't necessarily get in the plug-in package provided at purchase, etc. Also, if you have a 002, check and see if there's a trade up. Digi's great at getting you up to another level with trade in programs.

More questions, how much recording are you going to be doing, how big and what types of projects do you anticipate, and how many mics, tracks, instruments, voices do you think you'll be using/tracking at once? Any information can help people out here on the DUC help you make a more informed choice.

As far as learning curve goes. Some new connectivuty schemes, more options though mostly. PT 7.0 vs 6.probably has more new differences between the versions than making a move to HD would. Although there will be substantially more options and power available to you with an HD system. this will be ecident both in plug-in power, and in commands that are just not available on LE or are there but are much more limited. I don't think HD will bemuch harder, probably in most ways, it will be easier, but you'll be learning. It will be a good thing though, not an intimidating curve that will set you back. Should be the opposite, I'd hope. Good luck.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:33 AM

You would be pretty happy with a 96 I/O and an HD I

I agree. go for it, you won't regret it. i just did.
make sure you get the UPGRADE PLUS to PT7.

Enjoy!

Alwyn.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:15 AM

Mike,

You will enjoy working on an HD rig. The addition of ADC (automatic delay compensation) makes a real difference.

Buying a rig right now is tricky with the options and variables out there. There are two flavors of HD core cards, PCIx and PCIe which require different physical connection types to the computer. It seems that most computer manufactors are going with PCIe type slots. There are posts regarding the pros and cons of this issue so do a search with keywords like PCI express.

If you can wait for a few months the options may become clear. One possible rig would be:

MacBook Pro (it has one PCIe slot for HD core)
192 interface (this unit sounds much better than the 96 i/o)
PT.7 so RTAS works on aux and master faders.

This is all provided that Digi gets PT up and running on the Intel chip set with that huge front side bus. Shouldn't take them long??

good luck
Eric