Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:05 AM

Default Re: HDX smokes HD2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockridge View Post
Ok... I did a test this morning on a test PC I've got.
I recorded 50 tracks of silence.
Pressed play... the CPU used about 5%.

Then, I dragged in tracks from various sources, until I got up to 50.
Pressed play... the CPU used about 5%.

No edits, no plugs... just straight on.
Now if there were edits, cross fades, automation... then it might be a different story.

I'm not saying it's a definitive test... 50 tracks is nothing to modern computers, but I expected to see more.

So, I apologize to Jack and others for being hasty, this sh*t ain't that easy!

NewDestinyX... not disputing you at all, I always gravitate to the rebellious free thinker anyway!
And I admire you for not blindly following the party line!
Thanks, Rock. But that's not the test that's needed. The test in question is for 'recording' only. You did a test of CPU playback and I've had same results. The question here is what's the difference between recording silence or recording complex audio data in terms of the software keeping up. When it doesn't it throws certain error messages. So the test has to be 'only during recording' -- where the only variable is 'what's' being recorded. At least that's what my 'repeatable' issue was with the G5 in my test. I'm going to attempt to put to bed this 'dead horse' from the angle of today's computers being such monsters that the processor wouldn't be an issue during recording pretty much at an track count. Especially not with HDX which is the focus of this thread. My test conditions were all native when I did it several years ago. And as I said -- recording silence from busses was a popular test in those days to see if the ATA/IDE drives of that day and the newer SATA's could handle it. In those conditions of that day.. I could record 48 tracks from bus ins and have stability. The minute I added the converters into the picture recording real sound - instability. There IS a reason for that. Some here aren't interested in putting their good brains to it. Let's face it - it's just easier to think of me as a 'whack malcontented troll'. LOL!!!
Dead horse - well beaten. Moving on..

Hey has anyone heard - HDX rocks!!
Old 01-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Avid

Exclamation Re: HDX smokes HD2

Enough of the name calling, closing this thread.

If you disagree with something on the DUC please state your position respectfully.

Thank you.
Closed Thread