Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2020, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2020.1

It must be disheartening for them, being at the mercy of your main COMPETITOR! to not purposefully throw monkey wrenches into your code....
Old 01-17-2020, 02:12 PM

Who is the main competitor?

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-17-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
Well I thought of that too, design your own off the shelf thing with Linux and just stabalize the thing perfectly. But do you cut your own throat by doing that, a la NEVE and the Audiofile or Fairlight. Theyre so tied into the Mac thing with madia composer etc etc, and all these pulgins and addons that people rely on, they'd have to re invent the entire wheel....they should do it concurrently, with testing until its perfect/solid, then go thier own way. Its really the only way to control these OS update insanity EVERY YEAR......why contunue that way....i dunno.....all this mac/windows bla bla just make a UNIX build with a computer box/audio combo and let er rip......BUT, its gotta work better, and not need the constant OS repair foolery...
Exactly! Why is AVID putting themselves and their customers through this annual Apple OS update nightmare? I like the idea of a UNIX build. Once you get a tight build people will gladly switch (well at least I would) to a dedicated audio processing hardware rack that processes both the DAW and plugins. Then we can stop worrying about stability issues and bugs due to OS compatibility. I don't know why AVID hasn't already done this. If it fails, ok, not everything is a success, but I think it would work if it is priced fairly.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-kalman
Old 01-17-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkalman View Post
Exactly! Why is AVID putting themselves and their customers through this annual Apple OS update nightmare? I like the idea of a UNIX build. Once you get a tight build people will gladly switch (well at least I would) to a dedicated audio processing hardware rack that processes both the DAW and plugins. Then we can stop worrying about stability issues and bugs due to OS compatibility. I don't know why AVID hasn't already done this. If it fails, ok, not everything is a success, but I think it would work if it is priced fairly.

I suspect a lot of people (particularly in the semi-pro market) also want to use their computer for other things. Also, maintaining your own operating system is expensive, even if it is based on Linux. (Although, I suppose they already do that for the embedded Linux and Windows versions in the S6 and S6L.)
Old 01-17-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
I suspect a lot of people (particularly in the semi-pro market) also want to use their computer for other things. Also, maintaining your own operating system is expensive, even if it is based on Linux. (Although, I suppose they already do that for the embedded Linux and Windows versions in the S6 and S6L.)

I doubt it is just a semi-Pro requirement. Being able to reach for RX when it is needed, or throw files into Dropbox, or access work while on the road with a laptop. It is simply a requirement of 2020.

Companies have tried the dedicated box approach before. SSL, Neve, Fairlight, New England Digital, Otari, Studer all released offerings in the 1990s. They all inevitably sank. The DAWs that survived all ran on personal computers. I don’t think that is merely a coincidence.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
I doubt it is just a semi-Pro requirement. Being able to reach for RX when it is needed, or throw files into Dropbox, or access work while on the road with a laptop. It is simply a requirement of 2020.

Companies have tried the dedicated box approach before. SSL, Neve, Fairlight, New England Digital, Otari, Studer all released offerings in the 1990s. They all inevitably sank. The DAWs that survived all ran on personal computers. I don’t think that is merely a coincidence.
I hear you. I just wish there was a solution to this endless OS compatibility issue. It ties up AVID resources and I think that is one of the reasons we see less actual meaningful updates. In my opinion this is a waste of software development resources. They are always behind the curve, treading water, and never have enough time to perfect the present OS before they are forced to start working on the new OS. Why does Apple have to release a new OS every year, I mean every year? That is way too often. I think every 3 years is about the right frequency for a new OS. Bottomline: there has to be a better way moving forward and developing their own computing hardware and simple OS that just runs what it has to run would be the way to go. Again, just my opinion. If we are willing to drop $$$ on a new audio interface like MTRX, why would we not be willing to drop $$$ on a dedicated rack mounted audio processing hardware unit? It would still be ethernet/wifi capable and able to do what it needs to do to stay current, but it wouldn't be affected by Windows and Apples OS updates. Apple in particular is making it harder and harder for software developers to keep up. These OS updates are complex and getting more complex each year.

I read that Apple is moving away from Intel processors. So what is that going to do to software developers? I'm no software engineer, but that has to be a huge hurdle to overcome, even more complex than going 64 bit for Catalina. Now you'll have to figure out how to run on the new CPUs while still maintaining backward compatibility and Windows compatibility. Yikes.

Last edited by jasonkalman; 01-17-2020 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:43 PM

The other option is to beef up , by getting bought by Adobe who has the finacial muscle to crush problems, by throwing resources at it. Its gonna come to that anyway. Why is Adobe wasting money on Audition and Premiere?!?!? Just Buy out Avid Bada Bing Bada Boom......Go toe to toe with Apple...then you theyve a stranglehold on the creative market.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
The other option is to beef up , by getting bought by Adobe who has the finacial muscle to crush problems, by throwing resources at it. Its gonna come to that anyway. Why is Adobe wasting money on Audition and Premiere?!?!? Just Buy out Avid Bada Bing Bada Boom......Go toe to toe with Apple...then you theyve a stranglehold on the creative market.
I love that idea. If only I could be your Commander Spock so we could make this happen Captain

Old 01-17-2020, 06:02 PM

The only main feature missing now is integrated vocal pitch editing or ARA support.
The folder implementation looks to be outstanding.. and PT can still do a lot of stuff that other DAWs can't. I wouldn't mind midi FX and a drum editor also, and that's about it.

I wouldn't care about a single new feature for years if they could just add those three things(ara, midifx, drum editor) and keep it stable with every new OS release.

Even as it stands, I have workarounds by using other step sequencer plugins and arps and things like kirnu cream which work perfectly with AAX and with PT's mind boggingly easy track to track midi routing.

ARA is the big one (or an integrated solution like flex pitch). Also licensing elastique pro for the realtime algorithm. :)

There are "toppings" which I wouldn't say no to, like 64 core audio ins (that's all Logic can manage by the way, Apple's own flagship DAW), 256 audio tracks, and sidechain delay compensation. But none of them present me any real problem, as for S/C (for example), I just use zero latency dynamics plugins of which there are a ton.
Because I use apollos, I can monitor 64 incoming audio streams at all times and just use an alternative set of 32 to show PT and do one more recording pass.. 2 recording passes instead of one, big deal. But with native interfaces monitoring *through* pro tools, yes, it's a huge limitation for some and I understand why they want it.

But Folders and ARA would pro tools ahead of almost all other DAWs in my humble opinion, and I really believe a pitch solution WILL come next. It might take all of 2020, but in the meantime I will have to suffer transferring to melodyne plugin LOL. I'll live.

Pro Tools rules and there are so many people out there who think it's some weak toy and make fun of it all the time, and i always just smirk to myself and think, "the joke's on you".
Old 01-17-2020, 07:10 PM

heck no, its not a weak toy at all. its handcuffed by the financial reality of the world, its not ellen musk, with thier relatives from banks buying thier shares...with free printed money....if only.......