How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 01-20-2015, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Avid Pro Tools 12 NAAM GC Pro ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftstudios View Post
You know, it sure would have been nice if someone from AVID had told those of use who already had PT11 about what we'd get (Pro Tools 12) if we paid for the support plan before December 31st...

Why do they think they can keep being ignorant about these things? Want to improve your stock value, start respecting your customers...

No big deal. It costs the same to upgrade now as it did a few months ago. If Avid had not announced anything about support plans or subscriptions, and came out with PT12 now, after 11 has been around almost 2 years, I don't know if anyone would have a problem with it.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
No need for the "umm" - you're circumnavigating his point, not addressing it.
Yes I did actually. Avid has been pretty clear about the fact that if you upgrade to the support plan that you will get whatever new versions of Protools or new features that are released while you are covered by the support plan.

Granted they have been pretty cagey about the time frame of when they will release those new features other than to say sometime in 2015. And yes they have not actually allowed those of us who are already on PT11 to actually buy in until recently. But they have also said that we will have until the end of 2015 to make that decision.

Doesn't really matter if they call it Protools 11.5 or Protools 12 or Protools Bob. If you have a current support plan you will get the new version. If y do not have a support plan, you will have to either buy a support plan or pay the full price for the new version.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 01-20-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
You know, it sure would have been nice if someone from AVID had told those of use who already had PT11 about what we'd get (Pro Tools 12) if we paid for the support plan before December 31st...

Why do they think they can keep being ignorant about these things? Want to improve your stock value, start respecting your customers...
The only thing that has changed in the support plan is the time frame, isn't it? If people purchased it prior to 31st December, it lasts them until March 2016. After 1st January it only lasts 12 months.

If you already have 11, you don't need to support plan yet. Wait until PT12 hits the market, then pay your $199/$599. That will give you PT12, plus a year of support/updates/upgrades from the date you pay.

Protools 12 is the proverbial carrot on a stick. Prior to 31st December it was the opportunity to jump 1, 2 or even 3 versions of protools to 11 for cheap. For the rest of us, its a new version. It scares me, really. I can't stop envisioning us all being happy with the release of 12... then back here in 3 years wondering why we wasted $599 on subscriptions that yielded very little. Some may consider me pessimistic.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:22 PM

Why do you think that you are legally entitled to free upgrades?

Did you get some secrete handshake contract with Avid that the rest of us were not privy to?

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Old 01-20-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
I said updates... did you not read it?
Protools 12 is an upgrade not an update.

I bought my Protools 11 license in October 2013. Since then I have received at least a half dozen updates, including the latest 11.3. That's well over 12 months of updates for free.

Are you mad because you bought Protools 11 just a couple of months ago you you expect to get 12 months of updates even though they are about to announce a new version?

And, BTW, even though they may be announcing PT 12 at NAMM this week, it's entirely possible that it may not be available until the summer or fall...

Old 01-21-2015, 12:41 AM

Quote:
You are missing my point...

I, a person who already had Pro Tools 11 and is legally not required to pay $199 for updates as it was part of my original purchase contract with them. Why would I pay $199 in December when all that was on the table was Pro Tools 11 (which I already have), with updates (which I already get), and support I won't use. Someone on PT10 could have benefitted, not me.

Now if they had of said, "we expect that Pro Tools 12 will be out sometime in the next 15 months." I would have jumped on board. As it stood I would have been paying $199 for what I already get, while others who are on a lower version pay $199 for what has already cost me $600. I did pose the question multiple times in this forum as to what use PT11 users should do, and it was always met with a "Wait and see" from moderators and AVID people alike. So that is what I have done.

If now they are going to hike the price because of PT12, and I get stuck footing a bigger bill AGAIN, it will not bode well for AVID.

My point is, if the company actually becomes a bit more transparent (as in shows us a bloody roadmap), they probably would have gotten a lot more people on board straight away. As it stands now, they risk losing people because of their shady tactics...

So yes, I would have gotten 12 or 17 months of updates (which I was already entitled to). So I saw no reason to get on board. If now we get told, hey get on board PT12 is coming, and then it comes out on month 13 of my 12 month subscription and you Pro Tools 10 guys who already got PT11 with your "bonus" subscription then also get 12 because it falls into your "bonus" subscription timeframe, and us 11 guys end up paying another $199 on top of $199, we then get triple-screwed by this company of heroes...

I think you are currently creating a fuss about nothing. Anyone whom purchased 11 prior to the recent subscription plan should just wait and see what happens. The prices for the plans are still the same now as they were 3 months ago.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:45 AM

I know it's a predictable, negative and tiresome thing to say, but PT11 still doesn't seem solid enough to now be rushing into 12. The support network is completely broken, and PT11 still has major glitches - hard to feel much excitement for the next tsunami of bugs.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 01-21-2015, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
tsunami of bugs.

#tob

#tsunami
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
I know it's a predictable, negative and tiresome thing to say, but PT11 still doesn't seem solid enough to now be rushing into 12. The support network is completely broken, and PT11 still has major glitches - hard to feel much excitement for the next tsunami of bugs.
Perhaps PT12 is the bug fix/stable version to replace 11.

I mostly do live sound work and I'm not sure what new features or upgrades I would imagine I'd need.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Voyles View Post
Perhaps PT12 is the bug fix/stable version to replace 11.

I mostly do live sound work and I'm not sure what new features or upgrades I would imagine I'd need.
This is always the risk/issue: Avid decide what merits a full version upgrade - the new support plans/terms + how they want us to perceive recent offers will surely have influenced wrapping bug fixes and new features into PT12 and the timing of its release.

As an early PT11 adopter, it did seem unfair when others were rewarded for holding back and avoiding the bug-testing phase ... but that was based on an assumption that we would be treated worse!

You never know - now that the non-PT11 users have had such a great opportunity/offer (upgraders will get PT12 for free under their $199/$599 support plan), Avid can turn their attention to us. Maybe, existing PT11 users will be offered an even cheaper/longer upgrade with support plan when PT12 becomes available? And maybe Avid will choose this time to address one of the key remaining issues i.e. cost of buying back in from a lapsed support plan?!

Then everyone would have received a good offer to buy into the new model!

:)