Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-16-2003, 12:36 AM

Default Can PT 6 TDM and LE coexist on same computer?

My computer is a Powerbook. I have an HD system in a Magma chassis, and I also have an Mbox.
In OS9, PTHD and PTLE co-exist peacefully. I made 2 system folders, one for running PTLE, and one for PTHD. After working out a few problems with this method, it actually works well.

I'm wondering if anyone has figured this out for OSX. Can the two both exist and not conflict under the same system?
(I realize the hardware needed for a particular PT version must be attached, exclusively).

Different login accounts, with 2 setups for PT?
Old 02-16-2003, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Can PT 6 TDM and LE coexist on same computer?

Captain, I am running the same Rig. Can you give me more details to your OS9 solution? I am trying to do the different log in thing too in OSX. I am just not sure where the installer is putting the library items and if they are shared or not. My PT6 Package hasn't arrived yet. Let me know what you find out and I'll do the same.

Kato [email protected]
Old 02-16-2003, 01:31 PM

kato,

OS 9 method details:
I duplicated my system folder, and named the copy "MBox System". I threw away all the prefs and extensions inside it that were related to PT and plugs. Then I restarted, after identifying "MBox System" as the Startup Disk--you can specifiy which System is the one you want to use here.

Then I put my original System Folder and the existing Digidesign Folder into the trash! This is to force the installer to only see the new System Folder. Install LE as usual. There will be a new folder named Digidesign, and DAE and so forth will be in the new System folder.

Now remove the original System and Digi from the trash. Put the version of PT TDM into the new Digi folder.

If you remove the Magma cardbus card from the Powerbook, and add the MBox, everything should work fine now for PTLE. Except for your plugs. You can duplicate some RTAS plugs from the other System Folder's DAE folder. Some didn't work for some reason, until I made an alias of them and put them into the new plugs folder. It gets fairly confusing with the plugs. Since its the same drive, your other C/R auths should work fine.

So to switch between setups now, you just have to switch Startup Disks, and add the desired hardware before it boots. To help distinguish between the two, I gave each System its own desktop photo.

Now for OSX stuff, I haven't bought 6 TDM yet, since Digi says it won't work as of now with a Powerbook. I did get 6.0 LE and have installed it, it looks beautiful. I'll post if I go ahead and try it anyway.
Old 02-16-2003, 02:38 PM

Thanks Captain,
Extremely helpful information. I will try too and let you know. I bought 6.0TDM for another rig I have and I'll let you know if I leap. I have to admit I am hesitant right now.

Kato
Old 02-16-2003, 11:31 PM

I have a mbox and hd3 on a titanium as well. I actually have a few partitions on my titanium's hard drive. I have my strict PTHD setup on seperate partition and operating system for stability and then on the other operating system partition I have the MBox as well as all word processing, web, etc....no problems at all.
Seperate partitions with seperate OS installs are your safest way IMO for coexisting OS9, OSX, LE or TDM.
I haven't upgraded yet, I think I will order the LE version soon and take half my titanium up to OSX...but like you guys, can't do much until the cardbus solution is worked out, hopefully soon!!!
Old 02-17-2003, 02:46 AM

Doug
partitioning definitely seems like the best way to do it--the only reason I didn't was C/R auths. Do they work on different partitions of the same drive? (Waves, Vocalign, DUY)

BTW, The "accounts" ability of OSX is looking good, each account has a totally different set of prefs, apps, and so on. OSX is more impressive all the time. I think this is going to work for PTHD and PTLE on the same machine perfectly.