Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2018, 12:46 AM

Default Re: MB Comp / DynEq on Chug Guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Problem with the FF Pro-MB is not being able to get really narrow bands; you can only get so far so doing anything surgical is out of the question. And the limit is not the same across all bands; i.e. not a number like say 200 HZ across all but maybe 200HZ in a low band and 2KHz in a higher band. Depends where on the frequency spectrum you are. I know because i have it and have questioned FF about it. They say if you want narrower then to go to a dynamic EQ.

Luckily the HOFA IQ-EQ I have will do anything - regular EQ, dynamic EQ and multiband compression. Although the latter is a bit hairy to setup.
Yes, IQ-EQ is another very versatile one. I've recently got Waves F6, so I switched to it for almost every frequency-dependent dynamic tasks. Another interesting 'hybrid' plugin is Waves C6 which is effectively 4-band MB-comp plus two 'floating bands', and you can adjust the Q and side-chain there.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gone View Post
Yes, IQ-EQ is another very versatile one. I've recently got Waves F6, so I switched to it for almost every frequency-dependent dynamic tasks. Another interesting 'hybrid' plugin is Waves C6 which is effectively 4-band MB-comp plus two 'floating bands', and you can adjust the Q and side-chain there.
I really liked the Hofa Eq when I demoed it. I noticed that I have C4, but have no recollection of buying it. It must have been on sale, and me, a bit wasted. Dumb purchase.. it has no ext. sidechain.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
I really liked the Hofa Eq when I demoed it. I noticed that I have C4, but have no recollection of buying it. It must have been on sale, and me, a bit wasted. Dumb purchase.. it has no ext. sidechain.
That's why I went with C6 when it was on one of those $29 sales deals. It's C4 with the 2 floating bands.

While I have the IQ-EQ and it's very versatile it has a distinctive sound that's different from every other eq out there. Not that that's a bad thing just
Adam:
If by 'chug' guitar you're talking about djent or prog metal - don't try it with a Strat or any single coil guitar. Humbuckers only with the mids scooped by whatever method you choose. For me I'd do it on the amp itself.

QAPLA!
Old 09-06-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
That's why I went with C6 when it was on one of those $29 sales deals. It's C4 with the 2 floating bands.

While I have the IQ-EQ and it's very versatile it has a distinctive sound that's different from every other eq out there. Not that that's a bad thing just
Adam:
If by 'chug' guitar you're talking about djent or prog metal - don't try it with a Strat or any single coil guitar. Humbuckers only with the mids scooped by whatever method you choose. For me I'd do it on the amp itself.
Ya, that's basically what I was getting at.. apparently my blackout brain didn't know how important the ext. sidechain is with MB.

I know exactly what your talking about with the Hofa EQ having it's own sound; I like it's coloring. Do they have a free EQ? I'm not at my computer so I can't check if it's free or just a demo that doesn't expire cuz it throws static at ya every minute.

Not sure what Djent is.. I'll have to look that one up. I'm just doing heavy rock. The few chug parts are just 1/8ths, maybe a couple quick 1/16ths here n there, but none that dominate the progression. I keep it mainly in standard n drop D; I got one with a drop C, but there isn't any chug crap in that one.

Guess I just gotta try this MB technique and see if it's even needed.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:16 AM

I use this. If I didn't have C6 I would use F6 or Nova. They might not be the same but the procedure is the standard, adjust until it gives you what you want.
https://youtu.be/QN8cYb1j4rY
Old 09-06-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Oh ya, forgot to ask.. do the two floating bands work like a DynEq or is it the same MB with no crossover?
Also, do you think the C4/C6 colors the sound too much for a compressor? I notice a decent amount of coloration just with the plugin loaded and no bands active.

Anyone try LinComp? Is that also a MB Comp without the phasing, which is probably where the coloration is coming from. I quickly skimmed an article about how Waves fixed some kind of phase issue for LinComp, but not C4/C6.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Oh ya, forgot to ask.. do the two floating bands work like a DynEq or is it the same MB with no crossover?
Also, do you think the C4/C6 colors the sound too much for a compressor? I notice a decent amount of coloration just with the plugin loaded and no bands active.

Anyone try LinComp? Is that also a MB Comp without the phasing, which is probably where the coloration is coming from. I quickly skimmed an article about how Waves fixed some kind of phase issue for LinComp, but not C4/C6.
The floating bands on C6 work like a dynamic EQ, they are very similar to the Ren deesser in split mode.
All low latency multi band compressors and limiters I've used color the sound in a way I like and find useful especially on instruments but the ones with linear phase are clean enough for me not to hear anything. However, on clean vocals I prefer dynamic EQ.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
The floating bands on C6 work like a dynamic EQ, they are very similar to the Ren deesser in split mode.
All low latency multi band compressors and limiters I've used color the sound in a way I like and find useful especially on instruments but the ones with linear phase are clean enough for me not to hear anything. However, on clean vocals I prefer dynamic EQ.
I ment to demo the C6 earlier this week. It was, and possibly still is $29. I'd never pay more than that for any Waves plugin, which I'd guess is the universal sentiment.

Last edited by adam79; 09-07-2018 at 03:39 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:23 AM

Quote:
I ment to demo the C6 earlier this week. It was, and possibly still is $29. I'd never pay more than that for any Waves plugin, which I'd guess is the universal sentiment.
Why not just use TDR Nova? It's free and it'll be the same for you
Old 09-12-2018, 08:58 AM

Here's another way if you have the luxury, tho slightly OT:

Take a DI of the guitar when you record it. On heavy guitars, the DI signal will most likely be it's loudest during "chugging" parts. Use the DI signal to feed the sidechain of your compressor. Voila!