Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Avid Cloud Collaboration

Old 09-30-2015, 01:45 PM

Default Who cares? Anyone?

So it appears to be over a month since anyone posted in this particular section of the DUC.

Is that an indication in the level of interest in Cloud Collaboration?

Or the level of confidence in it 'coming soon', or actually being a 'cool new feature'?

Avid has gone very quiet on the subject.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 09-30-2015, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Who cares? Anyone?

Might be due in part to how the features haven't been implemented yet, so there isn't much to prompt discussion.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:43 PM

zero desire for avid to continue investing in this type of design
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Might be due in part to how the features haven't been implemented yet, so there isn't much to prompt discussion.
Please tell me this is the subtle humour I imagine it to be ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
zero desire for avid to continue investing in this type of design
+1
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:56 AM

Collab features would potentially be of some use to me on some projects. The features that go along with it, being Track Freeze and audio archiving I would definitely use every day though I suspect.

Creative Director - Red Note Visionary Sounds: http://rednote.com.au
Label: http://www.stereomissile.com/
Music Production / Mixing: http://www.stereomissile.com/musicproducer/
Mastering: http://www.stereomissile.com/mastering/
Old 10-01-2015, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo Missile View Post
Collab features would potentially be of some use to me on some projects. The features that go along with it, being Track Freeze and audio archiving I would definitely use every day though I suspect.
Track freeze potentially yes, depending in how it works. If there is a multiple out bounce type limit for HD only, so you can only freeze one track at a time on 'vanilla' then it is simpler/quicker to record the outputs of thuevmultiple tracks to new tracks.

Auto-archiving could be useful if it is much more slick than what I already have in place .... the combinstion of Carbon Copy Cloner and Deltawalker give me a pretty good system alrady.

The collab feature itself I probably would have no use foor, and on the odd occasion that I might, it's probably not worth the hassle of setting it up on local and remote machines, as opposd to just sending the project via dropbox or similar.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:14 AM

Well since you've opened the discussion, here's my 2p.

I have a couple of clients who use a PT rig to run samples, synths and click tracks in their live set. The ability to make changes to the session on request whilst they were in another country would be very useful indeed. And I do some mixing for clients in Norway where I can also see benefits.

Having said that, these tasks make up a thoroughly minuscule proportion of my yearly workload. So would I use the feature? Yes. Would I encourage AVID to be putting money into developing it at the potential expense of other new features or stability? NO NO NO NO NO.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:17 PM

The clients I mix for use Ableton and Logic.
- Collaboration = No Use to me

The Clients I master for just send tracks
- Collaboration = No use to me

The projects I work on are just about all done together where I'm directing say a musician or a singer or whatever, I kinda need to be there. The ones in the last 2 years or so where I wasn't there they 4 different people DON"T use Pro Tools
- Collaboration = No use to me

Track Freeze- geez enough already are they not like 10 years behind in this regard.. Get it moving Avid people....

I switched from Logic to Pro Tools in 2005 (OS X Broke TDM compatibility and my studio set up became spread across 2 places one with TDM and one without Making Logic a non started as the back and forth was seamless with PT)

I am willing to switch back again as for me my clients don't care, my creativity is actually excited for the return back to EXS, and dope midi integration (like automatically HANDLING a rushed 16note at the beginning of a phrase when moving regions around that's 1 example

Ill need PT around for old projects after 10 years of solid Daily use...

But the future... who knows, but I'm leaning...in fact I'm having hard time holding on and it seems avid are pushing me from behind...

System
MacPro 12 Core • 24 G Ram • 10.12.6
PT 12.8.1 • Mbox 3 Pro • Plug-ins Verified
4 HD • OS ssd | Audio ssd | Sample Library ssd | Storage
MAXPower eSATA 6G Card • Wiebetech RTX100H-Q
Kensington Trackball Works/Orbit Optical
Bluetooth off/Airport on and off.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:32 AM

Most of the major broadcast networks and post houses, around the globe, already use Avid cloud services. It's one of the Interplay functions. The newer Avid Cloud Collabo looks like it has some improvements, including being able to stay in your Pro Tools template/session and import edits/data as they come in from remotes and multiple stations. Saves time when everything is needed "now!".

In this day an age many in audio tend to be an island unto themselves and really have no need for integrated cloud services of this type. I can't see any of Avid's marketing of Cloud Collabo to music-only folks being successful. But broadcast/film/post is all teamwork. Most of the team from multiple stations and/or remote locales.

Pro Tools music customers seem to be getting the short end of the stick. But the Post side is together. Even the S6 has picked up as Post has started swapping out their film consoles.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:17 PM

Avid: "Don't record on your system drive, it'll cause problems...but record on this cloud drive!"

Me: "Yeah, right."

Last edited by AlexLakis; 10-04-2015 at 08:29 AM.