Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 11-15-2016, 05:20 PM

Default New PT10 User Problems

I am working thru learning ProTools after years of recording Analog.

I understand audio recording, conceptually but the digital mechanics of this are killing me. Its such a backwards problem. I know its all just familiarity.

Macbook Pro 13(Early 2011) with 2.3GHz Core i5 and 16G RAM.
Focusrite 2i2
PT10.3 on El Capitan. Virtual Instrument PlugIn installed.

So, I am looking for a Newbie tutorial.
I have what I realize are stupid questions but can't YouTube them away.

Is there an easy way to monitor the effects during INPUT on a track you are recording? For example, when I use an amp emulator I need to hear the amp plugin before I record to be sure I am playing with the right emphasis, etc.

I have an older Keyboard(No onboard USB) and setting up a midi track using my MiO usb insert. Setting the path up is ridiculously complicated.

So I hate to dump these newbie questions but is there a resource I can go to for some one on one basic Q&A??? i think having someone to ask these introductory questions could make the process flow.

jb
Old 11-15-2016, 06:37 PM

Default Re: New PT10 User Problems

Actually, this is just the kind of stuff you CAN learn on youtube Or Groove3.com, which is a paid site, but well worth it(you tube does have a decent number of not-so-decent stuff too). Keep your playback buffer low and insert the plugin of choice(amp sim or whatever). You can go one of 2 ways with this kind of processing; 1-just leave the plugin in place, record and enjoy(or with 12.3 and up, freeze or commit). Or, bring your guitar in on an AUX track, insert the plugin, route the AUX track to an AUDIO track and record. My vote; the first method, because you can change your mind on the sound at any time.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave

Last edited by albee1952; 11-16-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaster42 View Post
I am working thru learning ProTools after years of recording Analog.

I understand audio recording, conceptually but the digital mechanics of this are killing me. Its such a backwards problem. I know its all just familiarity.

Macbook Pro 13(Early 2011) with 2.3GHz Core i5 and 16G RAM.
Focusrite 2i2
PT10.3 on El Capitan. Virtual Instrument PlugIn installed.

So, I am looking for a Newbie tutorial.
I have what I realize are stupid questions but can't YouTube them away.

Is there an easy way to monitor the effects during INPUT on a track you are recording? For example, when I use an amp emulator I need to hear the amp plugin before I record to be sure I am playing with the right emphasis, etc.

I have an older Keyboard(No onboard USB) and setting up a midi track using my MiO usb insert. Setting the path up is ridiculously complicated.

So I hate to dump these newbie questions but is there a resource I can go to for some one on one basic Q&A??? i think having someone to ask these introductory questions could make the process flow.

jb
In addition to what Dave wrote there's something else you are going to have a problem with and that is running PT10.3.x on ElCrapitan. First off how did you even get it installed unless you either did an in-situ OSX 'upgrade' or you used Migration Assassin (Assisstant - there's a reason it's called the other name) to bring PT10 over. Neither of those is a good thing as PT10 is not and never will be made compatible with EC. Actually even Yosemite is a no-no as well. One of the reasons is major graphics issues with missing insert menu lists and so on. You have two choices - either backdate to Mavericks or earlier; the only reason Mavericks isn't on the compatible list is because the PT10 installer doesn't work but there are manual steps to do that deed. Your other choice is to go to PT12.

Whichever way you go understand EC was one of the worst OSX versions to work with computer audio.

As to your routing issues the first thing you have to go through is setting up the MIDI inside OSX audio/MIDI setup. There are plenty of online tutorials showing how to do that. I would suggest getting the PT101 courseware book as it's a good read for computer audio newbies.

QAPLA!
Old 11-16-2016, 10:11 AM

Put an ad on Craigslist for a young guy to show you the ropes and I'm sure you can share your years of analog recording with him/her.

Yea Grove3 cheap, Macprovideo also good, You'll have a headache in no time.