Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-08-2018, 02:02 PM

Default Universal Audio Neve DFC plugin

Wow!
UA have modelled a DFC channel strip, who'dve thought?
https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/c...nel-strip.html
Now how feasible is it to use UA plugins in a Post environment?
I must admit I used to love the 1176 when it was TDM.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Ua dfc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
Wow!
UA have modelled a DFC channel strip, who'dve thought?
https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/c...nel-strip.html
Now how feasible is it to use UA plugins in a Post environment?
I must admit I used to love the 1176 when it was TDM.
I've been using UA plugins for post for years.
This DFC plugin being the least interesting to me.

Living the dream.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:08 AM

I kind of know what you mean.
I wouldn't give up Fabfilter Pro Q for the EQ on this strip, but I'd heard the dynamics were good for Dialogue?
What UA plugs do you use in post?

It would be harder to take a session to a Theatre if you had to incorporate a UA card as well. That pretty much puts me off in itself. DSP's days must be numbered.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:26 AM

I’d quite like to demo it, and the 480L plug in but you have to have UAD DSP to demo it yourself.

Third party DSP seems like an expensive dongle in this context to me, another compatibility issue and a pain for moving sessions around or doing fixes further down the line. Fine if you never move out of one studio though.

Rob
Old 11-15-2018, 07:54 AM

I use the pultec eq's, Manley voxbox, precision limiter , sometimes the VOG and the 224 reverb for a music verb.
I have 2 UAD satellites, so if someone needs to open up a session elsewhere and I'm in a mix, they can grab that one.
UAD plugins provide authorization of up to 4 UAD cards.
Much better solution than iLoks IMO.
I have only 1 ilok plugin in my session. Halo. Of which I bought 2 instances. So, I have 2 complete setups, and never have to worry.

The Manley voxbox is fantastic on the main dx process busses.
Also, if I want to add some crazy effects I can add harmonizers etc.
It also comes in hand when needing to mix the occasional performance music cue in a show, Where the original mix is underwhelming.

The satellites make taking a mix to another stage a no brainer.
I float between the 10 dub stages that smartpost has in 3 different locations around town.

Living the dream.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:09 AM

So, seeing as I don't use compressors on individual DC tracks, no need for their eq, and TD Nova is a 6 band dynamic EQ, I just see no reason to ge this particular plug in.

But then, I'm retty underwhelmed by Altiverb as well.
Dont quite get the fascination people have with it.

The 480L on the other hand.....

Living the dream.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:37 AM

Thanks for explaining how it works for you - I think circumstances are the biggest factor.

I work at one place a lot, and from home, and in other facilities from time to time.

The place I work mostly we need to have full session compatibility across several machines and rooms as we are almost permanently premixing and providing temps then finals on features at every stage over long periods of time. So UAD wouldn’t make sense there without a lot of investment.

For other projects which tend to move between home and mix stages, it’s potentially worth it for me to get access to a good number of plug ins - although nothing I can’t do currently. I’m kind of interested to do a mix with the DFC plug in just for the hell of it, so I can see for myself if there is any ‘magic’ there and have better informed arguments with people who defend the DFC ‘sound’. And as you say, there are a lot more interesting plug ins on the platform - the 480L and others.

It got my interest, I’ll need to go and listen to some of these plug ins in person to make a decision it seems.

Rob Walker AMPS
Old 11-19-2018, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Universal Audio Neve DFC plugin

I believe if I buy the DFC plugin I will win an Oscar.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:19 PM

Hi Mark,

Thanks for sharing what you use UA wise.
I'm intrigued how are you using the 480L in a surround environment.
2 x instances?
I must admit since getting Altiverb and Exponential I've pretty much stopped using 2 x stereo verbs, used to be the only way of course, with plugins.

Does it sound as good as the hardware?

I tried the other plugin version of the 480 and was very disappointed, it only seems to be able to do one sound and that one is not too great.

I do miss those old Lexicon sounds, they had real beef and depth that its hard to find in plugin reverbs.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
I do miss those old Lexicon sounds, they had real beef and depth that its hard to find in plugin reverbs.
The official Lexicon PCM plug-ins sound great to me. Before Michael Carnes left Harman, he posted on GS about all the work that went into them, and how in many ways he thought they outdid the 480L. I just wish there were surround versions of those. They sound unique, so I often do double-stereo them.