Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > System 5

Old 01-30-2020, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Euphonix MA 703 (clocking) problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcOFB View Post
My setup involves an AM713 and an MA703

And i connect the S5 to my Mac (daw) via a rme madiface usb (madi to usb converter, so no HD system present)

I thought of using a digidesign sync io i found in storage and use the word clock out from that and daisychain throughout the two converters and the SC264D (fusion setup, no DF66)

I have never fiddled with clocking before so im shooting blind here :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So if I understand you correctly you have a System 5 desk plus Euphonix studio computer, a AM713 and a MA703 plus an RME sound card?

If that is the case you can try to daisy chain word clock from one device to the next, especially if they are located close to each other.

But I would consider getting a dedicated word clock unit especially if you are planning on adding any more devices requiring clocking to this setup.

The sync HD is not going to help you here as it is not a dedicated word clock generator/distributor. The only reason for having it is time code sync which is of no benefit to you as you aren't using HD hardware.

With only one A/D in your setup this unit should be running on internal sync and clock the rest of your devices. I would steer clear of word clock outputs and connect each unit with a T-Bar.

AM713 wc out
|
|
|--MA703 wc in
|
|
|--System 5 wc in
|
|
|
|--SC264D wc in
|
|
75Ω BNC terminator

The MADIFace will be quite happy locking to whatever appears on the MADI IN (and presumably the same is true for the System 5).

The only thing to keep in mind is that if you are using the coax and optical ports on the MADIFace at the same time whatever is feeding those Inputs should be synchronised to the same clock.

HD7 Accel PCIe, Magma EB7 chassis
PT 10.3.10 Mac OS 10.9.5
SSL Delta Link HD 160 I/O

COCKOS REAPER (latest)
RME MADIFX (192 I/O)

ProControl (32 channel)
Old 01-30-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm_xtk View Post
So if I understand you correctly you have a System 5 desk plus Euphonix studio computer, a AM713 and a MA703 plus an RME sound card?

If that is the case you can try to daisy chain word clock from one device to the next, especially if they are located close to each other.

But I would consider getting a dedicated word clock unit especially if you are planning on adding any more devices requiring clocking to this setup.

The sync HD is not going to help you here as it is not a dedicated word clock generator/distributor. The only reason for having it is time code sync which is of no benefit to you as you aren't using HD hardware.

With only one A/D in your setup this unit should be running on internal sync and clock the rest of your devices. I would steer clear of word clock outputs and connect each unit with a T-Bar.

AM713 wc out
|
|
|--MA703 wc in
|
|
|--System 5 wc in
|
|
|
|--SC264D wc in
|
|
75Ω BNC terminator

The MADIFace will be quite happy locking to whatever appears on the MADI IN (and presumably the same is true for the System 5).

The only thing to keep in mind is that if you are using the coax and optical ports on the MADIFace at the same time whatever is feeding those Inputs should be synchronised to the same clock.

Thank you for the quick reply! This is a massive help :)

I was told the sync io can run in standalone mode as a clock generator.

I only use the madiface to connect the coax madi from the desk to pro tools, i did however contemplate if older ssl madi converters (running optical madi) could connect to the rme aswell as im running digital monitoring and therefore only have a few analog outputs for outboard gear.

What do you mean by T-bar? Shouldnt the wc out from the MA703 carry the clock onwards to the sc264? Or am i being thick?

And what do you mean by bnc terminator?

Old 01-30-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the quick reply! This is a massive help :)

I was told the sync io can run in standalone mode as a clock generator.
Seeing you only have one A/D stage it is best to run the A/D on internal sync. You will gain nothing by clocking the AM713 from the word clock Output of the Sync HD - quite the contrary, actually.

Quote:
What do you mean by T-bar? Shouldnt the wc out from the MA703 carry the clock onwards to the sc264? Or am i being thick?
No, you should use a BNC T-connector and run your word clock in parallel, terminated at the end. The end being the final T-Connector in the chain.

Quote:
And what do you mean by bnc terminator?
This is a BNC terminator. Both, the T-Connector and Terminator need to be rated 75Ω.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

PT 10.3.10 Mac OS 10.9.5

COCKOS REAPER (latest)
RME MADIFX (192 I/O)

ProControl (32 channel)
Old 01-30-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Seeing you only have one A/D stage it is best to run the A/D on internal sync. You will gain nothing by clocking the AM713 from the word clock Output of the Sync HD - quite the contrary, actually.

No, you should use a BNC T-connector and run your word clock in parallel, terminated at the end. The end being the final T-Connector in the chain.

This is a BNC terminator. Both, the T-Connector and Terminator need to be rated 75Ω.

[/QUOTE]

Ok...

So, how would i not gain anything from syncing from the sync io? (I ask to understand)

And when you say run my word clock in parallel? What does this mean?

Old 01-30-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:

[/QUOTE]

Ah i get it!

Am703 wc out to T-Bar

T-bar out into ma713 & sc264D

But then there shouldnt be a loose end to “terminate”?

Old 01-30-2020, 09:13 AM

Ah i get it!

Am703 wc out to T-Bar

T-bar out into ma713 & sc264D

But then there shouldnt be a loose end to “terminate”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
Just connect it like in the diagram. The word clock Outour of the AM713 has a BNC-T connected to it and so do each of the other devices' word clock Inputs. The final device in the chain has the terminator connected to it.

Ypu won't gain anything from using the Sync HD as it is best to run your A/D on internal sync. The internal clock of the AM713 runs at 64x or 128x the sample rate (not sure which but it is in the specs). This is called oversampling. If you connect the Sync HD to the AM713's word clock input the AM713 will slave its clock to 44.1kHz and then multiply that clock accordingly. This is likely to introduce jitter which results in a loss of audio quality.

You can only get so far by daisy chaining your word clock but, if done correctly and in a small setup, you will be fine clocking everything off the AM713.

PT 10.3.10 Mac OS 10.9.5

COCKOS REAPER (latest)
RME MADIFX (192 I/O)

ProControl (32 channel)
Old 01-30-2020, 10:35 AM

So i take it the clock in the sync io is worse than the clock in the am703. Ill get to it :) thanks!

Old 01-30-2020, 10:49 AM

So i take it the clock in the sync io is worse than the clock in the am703. Ill get to it :) thanks!