Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2004, 09:34 AM

Default Lost my OS 9 Classic!

Anyone know a good way to get OS 9 back onto my computer. I must have deleted it. So I can't install software that requires to install in Classic first and then upgrade.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:45 AM

Default Re: Lost my OS 9 Classic!

You can install OS 9 on top of OS X but there's a catch. OS 9 will be your default boot and that's no good if you need to be in OS X. The best option to do this if you don't want to completely format and reinstall is to install OS 9 on a separate partition or hard drive (separate hard drive is the best option) and then set your system to boot from the OS X partition.

If you really want to do this clean and make sure everything is properly installed so it's as stable as can be, do a low level format on the drive (which will erase everything) and install OS 9 first and then once that is all running smooth install OS X. Everything will be perfect from there.

Hope that helps!
Pro Audio Sales/Consulting
http://www.audiolot.com

Follow AudioLot on Facebook
Old 06-10-2004, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Lost my OS 9 Classic!

If you can borrow a friend's "Software Restore Disc 1" that came w/ a Mirrored Drive Door G4, you can do this a lot easier. I'm not sure if this will work w/ other Software Restore CDs, but I know that it works w/ the one that came w/ MDD G4s because that's what I have.

Anyways, you put in that CD and do a search for "OS9" but it's a hidden file, so you have to specify "Visibility -> All" in your Find. You'll see a file called "OS 9 General.dmg". If you double-click that, it will mount. All you have to do is copy the "System" folder to your OS X partition. Then you should be able to select it under Classic !