Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2004, 06:30 PM

Default GarageBand and ProTools TDM

Before I go making songs in GarageBand, is there a smooth way of getting the tracks into Pro Tools once I'm done?

I currently use Reason which is way more robust/pro a software but for $50. and it's ease of use, I will be fooling around with GarageBand for a few hours (or days). I just want to make sure if anything good get's created, I can get those tracks into ProTools! Let me know please.

Anyone done this yet?
Old 06-09-2004, 09:59 PM

Default Re: GarageBand and ProTools TDM

If you solo each track and export to iTunes, it will come into itunes as AIFF. Repeat for each track. Import all tracks. sort of a long way around, but it works.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:15 AM

Quote:
If you solo each track and export to iTunes, it will come into itunes as AIFF. Repeat for each track. Import all tracks. sort of a long way around, but it works.
I was actually figuring that way before I even bought it. But I did download the 1.1 Update which I was lead to believe has Rewire support.

1) Has anyone tried the Rewire option yet?

2) BTW: How is Apple's Soundtrack compared to Garageband?
Old 06-10-2004, 08:25 AM

Default Re: GarageBand, Soundtrack and ProTools TDM

Here's a concern: Garageband seems to be slugging along on my system. It's host based as opposed to my PT's TDM. So when I reach for a volume, pan or even stop it takes about 3 seconds for any action to actually happen.

1) Do I need to change some settings or am I on a machine (G4 450, 768ram) that's too outdated for this stuff? I certainly am not considering nor can afford a new Mac at this time. Someone once mentioned that they updated their processor up to an 800 mhz machine. Any good enexpensive online processor upgrade shops?

I ask because I'm considering getting Soundtrack and would be recording many vocal and live instrument tracks into it. Question: does the $100 Garageband upgrade/add-on pack equal Soundtrack?
I need for Garageband to have the extra filters, Delay's, and processing that I saw in Soundtrack.

Do worry, I'll still be using ProTools for all my Post Production day job stuff!
Old 06-10-2004, 04:21 PM

Old 06-10-2004, 04:57 PM

Technically, the Dual 800 G4 is the slowest machine supported for TDM, not to mention a host-based app. The 450 has "fallen off the grid", as they say...

In the Land Of OSX, that is a rather slow machine for host processing - it's a drag, but it's reality.

S..

Scofield...
Old 06-12-2004, 10:51 AM

I've used both a little bit, trying to use them at home like you are:

Soundtrack is primarily a loop player. It lets you arrange loops in creative ways like Acid on the PC. Although Garageband can do this too, Soundtrack comes with far more loops and production sound effects. My kids have a BLAST adding sound FX to their videos using Soundtrack. It feels fairly CPU efficient on my 1Ghz laptop. I haven't run out of power to create any compositions I've tried on it. The included Logic plug-ins are cool.

Garageband overlaps in many areas. Although it handles loops well, the included library is 1/4th the size of Soundtrack's, and it's hard to find exactly the feel I need. So I play my own using a USB midi keyboard and the included software instruments. The software instruments are AWESOME; truly professional quality. But they do eat up the CPU. I get 6 to 10 software instrument tracks before my 1ghz laptop won't play anymore. And the master reverb and delay plug-ins are on by default, eating up lots of CPU before you make your first track (you can disable them though).

Both programs are fun, but I'm used to PT software at work and it's hard to adjust to the lack of fine-tuning controls and CPU power when you need them. I lose interest in a composition in Garageband when I run out of power and can't get what I need from it. You'd need a 2Ghz G4 to get enough from Garageband!

I played with Garageband for an hour at the Apple store on a 2Ghz G5. That was fast enough. (Drew a crowd too!)

If you have a budget for home recording, the combo of Reason + Live + PT LE is way more powerful. But if you're not super picky about editing I'd get a CPU upgrade for your 450 and use Garageband and/or Soundtrack.

My $0.02

Jeff D.

Old 06-12-2004, 11:12 AM

>Do I need to change some settings?<

See this forum for tips:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...b.1@garageband

>does the $100 Garageband upgrade/add-on pack equal Soundtrack? <

Garageband has different features than Soundtrack. But the Jam Pack does add to the loops and software instruments of GarageBand. You can also download AU instruments. See osxaudio
Old 06-12-2004, 11:15 AM

>rewire into ProTools?<

I think someone might have to write an RTAS-to-rewire plug-in that links Garageband to ProTools, like the Live and Reason plug-ins. I would love to be able to use the Garageband instruments in PT via rewire!

Old 06-13-2004, 01:43 PM

I would think that at some point GarageBand would be able to be used as a Rewire slave like Reason. Right now it can only be a Rewire master. IOW you can use Reason within GarageBand.