Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2010, 03:27 PM

Unhappy WAV file won't open in Pro Tools - reporter on deadline!

Hi there,
I'm a reporter for NPR (on deadline!) and I have used, I believed, the same configuration every time I have done reporting and this has never previously happened. I have an HHB Flash Mic, I pull the files off, and import into Pro Tools. This time, I believe a setting was changed on the mic and the files will not import. These new files do not open in iTunes -- however, they do open in Quicktime.

Older files that I recorded with the same mic are importing just fine. I took a look at the settings of the 2 files, and here are the differences:

New, non-opening files:
Bit rate: 160 kbps
Channels: 1 (mono)
Audio Sample Rate: 44 kHz

Old, functioning files:
Bit rate: 705 kbps
Audio sample size: 16 bit
Channels: 1 (mono)
Audio Sample Rate: 44 kHz
Audio Format: PCM

Note that 2 of the attributes -- audio format and audio sample size -- were not given at all in the new files.

Any help is greatly, greatly appreciated.

Many thanks -
Old 10-24-2010, 03:40 PM

Post Re: WAV file won't open in Pro Tools - reporter on deadline!

Judging by the recording times listed here, it sounds like you were set to Linear PCM before but switched to MPEG1 Layer 2 at some point.

Maybe their software can convert the files, otherwise, if you say they will open/play in QuickTime you could possibly convert them to AIFF or WAVE using QuickTime Pro.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:52 PM

Default Re: WAV file won't open in Pro Tools - reporter on deadline!

also the 'movie info' or clip inspector in QT might reveal the file attributes. i always find this useful for finding out framerates and other info about video files.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:23 PM

Not that knowledgeable in this domain, but you said you were on a deadline. QT Pro will let you export the files, I think, like JC of Avid said. best of luck and go, NPR!
Old 10-24-2010, 06:05 PM

thank you all for your input. brilliant move to actually take a look at the mic recording times -- i have a hunch that may be it. in a pinch, i have a music engineer friend who has some fancy program for saving the files.
thank you again, and if anyone else comes along the thread and has other thoughts, they are also very appreciated.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:22 PM

FYI...
Running the files through Quicktime Pro and exporting them there worked... when NONE of my engineer friend's fancy software could. Thanks all again.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:52 PM

Audition is a good side-app to have in these cases.

Sometimes those flashmics, in various users' hands and locations, adopt some pretty unique settings!